• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SpeedBirdNine

Recommend a book for DirectX

This topic is 2759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please recommend a book of DirectX programming for starters.

I am not new to programming, and i have a passion for programming, game development. I am new to OpenGL (started to learn recently), so should i start learning DirectX now or gain some more experience with OpenGL before making the switch?

Advertisement

I am not new to programming, and i have a passion for programming, game development. I am new to OpenGL (started to learn recently), so should i start learning DirectX now or gain some more experience with OpenGL before making the switch?

Go here. See your account name at the top? Move your cursor to that name, then move right until you reach "Resources". You should be over "Resources" and a drop down menu appearing underneath it. Click on "Books". Your guide to everything starts from there.

One of the best resources I've had luck with Introduction to 3D Game Programming by Frank Luna (author's website link here) - pretty good theoretical basis and comes in DX9 and DX10 flavors both with an emphasis on shader work (who wants to use the FFP anymore anyhow!? :D ) There's certainly other ones out there too - as tom_mai78101 said - check the books in the resources section on this site - good place to start...

As for OpenGL / DirectX - in my view, they're really 2 sides of the same coin -- so, once you learn one, it's fairly easy to go back to apply your knowledge to the other... my 2 cents.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!