Travel at a fraction of light speed. Subjective time question.

Started by
40 comments, last by Waterlimon 12 years, 10 months ago

Wrong

No.
Advertisement

in other words your first calculation was correct.

Well, no, because lightyears as distance is defined in the Earth's coordinate system (not exactly, but you know what I mean). So 10 years means 10 years in cE not cT.
[/quote]

Oh I miss-read years instead of light years. My bad. I'll repost when I've taken that into account.
Oh I miss-read years instead of light years. My bad. I'll repost when I've taken that into account.

So bearing in mind that the journey is 10 light years in length as seen from earth we calculate as follows.

The time taken for journey as measured by the observer on earth will be 20 years. And the time taken for the journey as measured by the traveller's clock will be 17.32 years.

EDIT: so szecs post #9 was the first correct calculation, unless I missed some edits. But then iirc he edited post number #7 so that that is now seemingly the first one.

EDIT: Anyway, good to have two separate confirmations of the result. :]
[size="1"]Thanks for the rate-ups, but I'm beginning to think that this new post-rating system is worse than the person-rating system :P

[size="1"]Thanks for the rate-ups, but I'm beginning to think that this new post-rating system is worse than the person-rating system :P

[offtopic]Hmm, I think it might work out allright. Its easier to go up but its also alot easier to go down. I think the only problem is if people start abusing it with alt accounts, but I guess that could be solved by restricting accounts to one per IP as per the old site. Also, I think people tend to refrain from abusing it with alt accounts because they know it would take the whole point out of the rating system and therefore the whole point of them abusing it in the first place

However I do think the bar for "Excellent" rep status should be raised by a lot (its currently at 20 :/ ), maybe to 100? And also perhaps there should be another bar for "Legendary" at 1000? So, Good at 10, Excellent at 100, and Legendary at 1000? I guess there could be a God status at 10000 :P

EDIT: *Starts getting excited* And maybe we could unlock new gear and super powers at higher re.. err.. no.[/offtopic]

Last night I kept reading a little more and learned that for a spaceship traveling almost at the speed of light, all the radiations that arrives to the spaceship would be so shifted to the extremes (X-rays, ultra-infra-red) of the spectrum that nothing from the outside would be visible from the inside.

Not that I really understand these things, but I find that a bit strange. Wouldn't this effect depend on direction? So radiation travelling in the same direction as the space-ship will be shifted past infra-red, and radiation travelling the other way past X-rays. But won't light perpendicular to the direction of travel still be observable?

A more interesting question:
How would we relativistically simulate a space-fighting game with all these time dilatations in a multiplayer game? All controls/the behavior of the spaceship would slow down compared to the outside scene? That is an interesting game design question....

See the indie RTS Achron. It's not a space-fighting game, but it involves time-travel. You're asking about how to design a multiplayer game in which the players can be in different temporal frames. This RTS deals with a game design problem that seems similar: how to design a multiplayer game that allows each player to travel back in time and affect the course of game events. It's a very interesting design they came up with.

Sorry to throw the thread off-topic, back to talking relativity :D BTW, an observer traveling at near the speed of light would be able to see almost nothing. "light perpendicular to the direction of travel", from the frame of reference of the traveler, would necessarily have to emanate from a source that was traveling at near the same speed in near the same direction (i.e. an object that appeared, to the traveler, to be almost at rest). Since this is unlikely, you would see almost nothing.
An alternative way to calculate this is from the traveler's reference frame. He will see the destination as nearing at speed of 0.5c, but the distance to the destination is not 10 light years to him. Rather distance contraction (just as time dilation) plays a role here. Lorentz contractions on distance say the distance is now (10light years)/(gamma), where gamma is 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)=1.15. So d=8.65 and we get the time to traverse this distance is 17 years again.

I played with the idea of incorporating relativistic effects into a video game a while back and was unable to come up with anything particularly compelling. The simulation is non-trivial. At relativistic speeds it becomes necessary to not have information transmitted instantly - you must be careful that everything is "seen" after a speed-of-light delay (at least), which makes simulation considerably more complicated. This is necessary, for otherwise you break causality and let things "see" into their future. So it is necessary to keep track not only of the current state, but of previous states. For a suitably simplistic game, this might be practical. I am also interested in the possibilities for a puzzle game to be made where you combine relativity with something like wormholes to create time travel if properly moved. (One of Brian Greene's books has an interesting section on this possibility: take one end of a wormhole on a long, fast spaceship ride and now you have temporally (as well as spatially) separated the ends.)
I've thought about making a game or just a toy where Physics are modified so c is something like 100Km/h, and relativistic effects are taken into account. I don't understand relativity well enough to really know how to make it or what it would look like, and that's precisely why I think it would be an interesting teaching tool to help people gain an intuition for how a relativistic world works.

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1305053252' post='4809078']
Last night I kept reading a little more and learned that for a spaceship traveling almost at the speed of light, all the radiations that arrives to the spaceship would be so shifted to the extremes (X-rays, ultra-infra-red) of the spectrum that nothing from the outside would be visible from the inside.

Not that I really understand these things, but I find that a bit strange. Wouldn't this effect depend on direction? So radiation travelling in the same direction as the space-ship will be shifted past infra-red, and radiation travelling the other way past X-rays. But won't light perpendicular to the direction of travel still be observable?
[/quote]

I'm not really sure. My guess is that light perpendicular to the direction of travel should arrive at the speed of light and it's wavelength shouldn't "suffer" any change in relation to the velocity of the ship. Maybe some sort of lens effect due to space contraction inside the vessel?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement