• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

MSAA Quality

This topic is 2777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know what the various quality levels might do in MSAA? For example, the DXGI_SAMPLE_DESC is defined:

typedef struct DXGI_SAMPLE_DESC
{
UINT Count;
UINT Quality;
} DXGI_SAMPLE_DESC, *LPDXGI_SAMPLE_DESC;

So if Count = 4, with 4 sub pixels per pixel, what can the Quality parameter control? Does it control the pattern of the 4 sub pixels?

Advertisement
It's driver and hardware-specific. For instance on Nvidia cards you can use it to enable CSAA. The only exception is D3D10_STANDARD_MULTISAMPLE_PATTERN/D3D11_STANDARD_MULTISAMPLE_PATTERN and D3D10_CENTER_MULTISAMPLE_PATTERN/D3D11_CENTER_MULTISAMPLE_PATTERN which are available on all GPU's that support feature level 10.1. The former is just a standard 4xMSAA sample pattern where the sample positions are the same on all GPU's, and the latter has all sample points located at the center of the pixel.

I see. Why would one use D3D11_CENTER_MULTISAMPLE_PATTERN? If all the sample points are located at the center, doesn't that defeat the purpose of taking more than one sample?

D3D11 also gives you the ability to run the pixel shader per-sample instead of per-pixel, so I guess you could (ab)use that pattern to perform a kind of MRT rendering with a single render target.

Yeah I think it's for doing unusual things with MSAA like Hodgman suggests, or maybe for debugging/diagnostics purposes. I've never had a reason to use it, personally.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!