DX9 POOL and USAGE

Started by
1 comment, last by schupf 12 years, 11 months ago
Hello,

I am trying to delve deeper into DirectX 9 and currently grapple with resources, especially D3DPOOL (D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, D3DPOOL_MANAGED) etc. and the Usage (D3DUSAGE_DYNAMIC)
There seem to be a lot of rules (a managed resource can't be dynamic etc.) and unfortunately I have found sites which make contradictory statements about all the rules. The rules even seem to differ
from type to type (Texture or VertexBuffer).

Does anyone know a site that recaps all the rules? Or has anyone the knowledge and time to tell me the most important things I have to consider when working with POOL/Usage?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Everything about them is in the DirectX documents in your program files directory, or alternatively on the MSDN site.

Everything about them is in the DirectX documents in your program files directory, or alternatively on the MSDN site.

Thats true, but some articles are not very helpful or even misleading. For example one MSDN article says that a DEFAULT resource can't be locked. And another tells me a DEFAULT resource CAN be locked but only if the usage is dynamic. So what is true now? It is kinda tedious to read all those many pages to get a proper overview;/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement