• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MattSmith_79985

How different is DX9 compared to 10

This topic is 2775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So i've been trying to decide between DX9 or 10, problem is......the Direct X 10 tutorials/samples and such provided are EXTREMELY confusing because of all the initialization code, like it's ridiculous. Wading through all the classes and such trying to figure out whats going on.

So I checked out some DX9 code...and it made alot more sense, I have "3D game programming with Direct X 10" was given to me by a friend, and I know it's considered to be a great book...but his source code is extremely difficult to understand for me because of all the classes used.

Don't get me wrong I understand C++ classes, but for a beginner to 3d programming going through all the code was quite difficult.

So I guess I came here to ask, would it be 'wasteful' to learn DX9 THEN step up to DX10, or are the differences just too great that it'd be a waste. I know some stuff is depreciated.....but im wondering if it's only the advanced topics, or for something like terrain generation would it be a completely different thing?

Terrain generation is my ultimate goal, I think it's awesome (heightmaps and such) but obviously I have a ways to go, however there are many many tutorials on it for DX9 that make alot more sense to me.

Advertisement
Firstly, forget DX10, it has been totally superceded by DX11 (and DX11 runs on DX10 hardware so there is no trouble there, you just use DX10 feature levels).

Secondly; concepts map but you'll be learning what is effectively a dead/dying API which can cause problems with the way it does something things (for example in DX9 the fixed function pipeline still exists, but that hasn't existed in hardware for nearly 10 years now).

Honestly, right now, I'd pick DX11 over anything else when it comes to learning an API.

The problem (for me at least) is there aren't any book (besides the SDK) for DX11.
and there aren't really any tutorials either.......especially for Terrain generation (which is what I HOPE to eventually get to) So.....how would I learn it lol? You can only go so far with the SDK

Imagine still writing applications using DX5 now, it's probably not even supported anymore by the newer versions of windows.

I highly recommend starting with the latest version of the API, even if it's harder it'll be worth it in the long run.
You do need to change someday and changing one version at a time is easier than hopping from DX9 straigth to DX14 in a couple of years.

Also, you might want to check out http://www.directxtutorial.com
It has some nice tutorials on DX9-11 and all steps are explained very nicely.
The basic tutorials are free.

Does anyone know if the "paid" parts are "worth it"?

edit: I'd also love if there was a DX11 tutorial that went on to explain heightmaps <_<

I paid for them and for me it was worth it.
But if you are short on money you can get the same info from other websites or the SDK docs itself, it realy depends from person to person I think.
I wouldn't say that a subscription to this website is realy a must, as the amount of content simply isn't large enough in my opinion.

True, I mean.......The "3d programming with Direct X 10" book was just a little too confusing for me, I understood the "pieces" but not how everything is put together.....and the author doesn't do a good job of explaining why..

Well Im gonna try out the DirectXtutorials.com along with the SDK, Rasertek has some nice tutorials......but good lord the way it's laid out......talk about getting too much info at once haha

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!