• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ussyless

OpenGL Exporing animations?

This topic is 2775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, i've made scripts for loading model files, but i need to know, how can i export bones/ animations for use in a c++ game, im using 3dsmax
Skinning isnt important, could be usefull in future though
what would be nice, but not necessary: references to models linked to the bones

so anyway, are there any simple/standardised formats for exporting animations that i could load into my engine? i'm using opengl to draw everything also, but i doubt that's important

thanks

Advertisement
You should start from the file formats your game engine can load and use; exporters are easier to replace or adjust than games.
If you are developing your own engine from scratch, you should be able to create very simple animated models by hand before the file format stabilizes and you are able to write an exporter.

One good way to start would be the FBX file format, using the FBX sdk.
You can quite easily load animations that are stored inside the FBX files using their SDK.
Also all 3D software like Max and Maya support this format.

I would not use this as final format in your final game though for several reasons.
You probably end up writing either a custom exporter or a converter that converts from FBX into your own optimized custom format.

[color="#1C2837"]One good way to start would be the FBX file format, using the FBX sdk.

I wouldn't use FBX full stop. Any SDK that ships as 2 x 686Mb library files; requires you to write your own optimised memory allocator to workaround the horrendously bad memory management employed in the library; has 17 ways to get a rotation, almost all of which are deprecated or don't work; is best avoided imho.

It is by far the worst bit of middleware out there.

dotXSI or collada are much better choices.

[quote name='Buckshag' timestamp='1305133993' post='4809496']
[color="#1c2837"]One good way to start would be the FBX file format, using the FBX sdk.

I wouldn't use FBX full stop. Any SDK that ships as 2 x 686Mb library files; requires you to write your own optimised memory allocator to workaround the horrendously bad memory management employed in the library; has 17 ways to get a rotation, almost all of which are deprecated or don't work; is best avoided imho.

[/quote]

I don't know where you see such big library files, but my FBX sdk doesn't have crazy library files like that.
Like I said, you probably end up writing your own converter. But if you just want to easily load in some data in a few lines, then the FBX SDK is a good way to go in my eyes. It is very easy to get good results in a relatively short time.
You can then save out the data into your own optimized format again. Again, it is not a library/format to really directly use in your final games, but it can help you get started very well. And FBX is one of the best supported file formats out there. So I can highly recommend it to add support for it inside your pipeline.

[quote name='Buckshag' timestamp='1305133993' post='4809496']
[color="#1c2837"]One good way to start would be the FBX file format, using the FBX sdk.

[/quote]

The SDK has its problems, performance certainly seems to be one of them(in particular retrieving animation), although I might take a look at the memory management to see if this helps. I dread to think that it might be allocating memory during animation evaluation:-(

Although unlike most formats, the SDK appears for the most part to produce correct output and have a wide range of robust(+stable) exporters. But I think the single biggest advantage is the range of feature support.

David

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!