• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stromchin

Texture can't be locked, so I can't convert to bitmap

This topic is 2691 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
I got 2 textures, and I want to check the pixels to see the differences, and create a new texture out of that.

The problem:
The first problem is that I'm using C# (not my decision)
Those textures have been used as render targets, and for that, when they're created, usage is rendertarget, and pool is default.
Then when I try to make the textures into bitmaps, I simply can't lockrectangle on them because you can only do that if they have been created with usage.dynamic
but then with usage.dynamic, I can't use them as render targets!

Texture one = render_difference.texture_;
Texture two = render_target_.texture_;

Bitmap bitmap1 = new Bitmap((int)render_difference_.Width, (int)render_difference_.Height);
Bitmap bitmap2 = new Bitmap((int)render_target_.Width, (int)render_target_.Height);
bitmap1 = TextureToBitmap(ref one, new Rectangle(0, 0, (int)render_difference.Width, (int)render_difference.Height), bitmap1.Size, new Point(0, 0));

and then texturetobitmap is where the texture gets locked, and gives an error.

public Bitmap TextureToBitmap(ref Texture tex, Rectangle texRect, Size bmpSize, Point bmpPoint)
{
Rectangle bmpRect = new Rectangle(bmpPoint, new Size(texRect.Width, texRect.Height));

Bitmap bmp = new Bitmap(bmpSize.Width, bmpSize.Height);
//Bitmap bmp = new Bitmap(pictureBox1.ClientSize.Width, pictureBox1.ClientSize.Height);

BitmapData data = bmp.LockBits(bmpRect, ImageLockMode.WriteOnly, PixelFormat.Format32bppArgb);

SurfaceDescription sd = tex.GetLevelDescription(0);
int texSize = sd.Width;

int texX = texRect.X;
int texY = texRect.Y;
int texWidth = texRect.Width;
int texHeight = texRect.Height;

IntPtr p = data.Scan0;

unsafe
{
int* bp = (int*)p.ToPointer();

GraphicsStream s = tex.LockRectangle(0, texRect, LockFlags.ReadOnly);

int* gsp = (int*)s.InternalDataPointer;

for (int i = 0; i < texWidth; i++)
{
for (int j = 0; j < texHeight; j++)
{
*(bp + texWidth * j + i) = *(gsp + texSize * j + i);
}
}
}

tex.UnlockRectangle(0);
bmp.UnlockBits(data);

return bmp;
}

Questions:
-
I read that I could use device.UpdateSurface, but I don't know how... since what I got arent surfaces but textures...
- Is there a way to change the usage of a texture after it's been created?
- Is there a way to make a new texture using the old texture, and change the usage?
- Is there another way to make a bitmap out of a texture that doesn't involve locking it?
- Is there any other way to accomplish what I want?

I'm a noob and I dont get surfaces/textures/bitmaps too much yet... sorry ;_;

Advertisement
In the end I could just copy the surface to another surface, and this new one was set with usage.dynamic.
And I found out that surfaces are just the layer 0 of a texture. BUT THEN trying to lock a file to go through it and make a copy apparently takes waaaaay too long.
So in the end I solved it by changing the blending operation before drawing the second picture

device.RenderState.BlendOperation = BlendOperation.Subtract;
device.RenderState.SourceBlend = Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Blend.SourceColor;
device.RenderState.DestinationBlend = Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Blend.DestinationColor;

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!