Visual Studio having trouble knowing when I add new class members/methods?

Started by
5 comments, last by wqking 12 years, 11 months ago
Not really sure how to explain this. My program is slowly increasing in size, with # of classes I use and such and now, whenever I add a public member or method to a class and I try to, er, reference or use said member/method, Visual Studio no longer knows anything new is added. It'll compile fine but that popup menu that shows up when you do the . doesn't list the newest additions. Until I compile, it'll show it as an error. I have to close the solution and reopen it before Visual Studio (2010 express) will see the new stuff. Anyone know what's going on? I don't recall having this issue with my normal version of VS 2008. Is this a limitation of the express version of 2010 one? Thanks guys.

EDIT: After searching around it looks like my Intellisense isn't working right. It'll work fine on other projects but my current project, it won't update the definitions whenever I add/remove stuff, like class methods/members. Still haven't found a solution yet. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Not DirectX related; Moving to General Programming.
I'm guessing this is C++? C++ intellisense on VS is notoriously flakey once the project reaches a certain size. There are plenty of workarounds (rebuiliding, deleting the intellisense database and so on) but most people find the best answer is to use Visual Assist. It's not free, but IMHO it's well worth the asking price.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Thanks for the tip Chaos. I'm using C# but I have never heard of Visual Assist. Lookin at it, it does look very useful.

Thanks for the tip Chaos. I'm using C# but I have never heard of Visual Assist. Lookin at it, it does look very useful.

Hmm that's odd. It's usually pretty good with C#. Visual Assist is still a good product but I normally don't bother with it in C# projects. How big is your program? I'm currently working on a solution with abour 2500 c# classes and 1400 c++ classes and the intellisense hasn't broken yet.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is true for C#, but in C++ it helps to occasionally delete the project's Intellisense file (it's something like MyProject.ncb). Do this before you launch Visual Studio. When you do launch Visual Studio it, may take a bit for Intellisense to repopulate, but afterwards it should work much better.

Hope that helps.
In my experience (I use VC 2008 Express), the code intelligence (aka, auto complete) is not good in VC.
When I type ".", "->" or "::", I usually don't expect any auto complete list pop up. :(

I found Code::Blocks has better code intelligence than VC.
So if it's suitable and if I want my code compatible with GCC, I setup a mirror project in C::B with GCC.
And then if I need a lot of code intelligence, I switch to C::B.
But my primary IDE is still VC.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement