• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NEXUSKill

Reference on 2D graphics needed

This topic is 2600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

While the needs and techniques of sprite based graphics are more than well known and easy to learn about (at least they were for me), I've always had a gap of knowledge regarding other 2D graphic techniques and their implementations, I'm therefore looking for a good reference, article, book or whatever resource specifically on alternate bi dimensional rendering techniques.

I'm pretty sure graphics like those of World of Goo and similar aesthetic 2D games are not done through sprites and common 3D vectorial graphics don't seem to fit quite right either.

Anny contribution will be appreciated.

Yes I have googled it, and yes I have fairly advanced knowledge of 3D rendering as well as sprite based 2D.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure graphics like those of World of Goo and similar aesthetic 2D games are not done through sprites and common 3D vectorial graphics don't seem to fit quite right either.
Unfortunately no, they don't easily mix together. Vector graphics don't fix the problem of sprites being flat.
Anyway if you want to have a look at it try googling for

green, distance field, bounduary textures
First hit is original paper, there's a somewhat improved algorithm around. Not really as good as vector graphics but pretty damn close. The method has some problems with fine detail but I don't think this is a problem in real world scenarios.

blinn loop curves
"True" vector graphics using procedural shaders. Some nice advantages, works fairly well but requires a boatload of work compared to the above method. Not that those can be really compared as they are really suited for different needs and have very different requirements.

In the past I also used to suggest to take a look at "texture conics" but this method is now largely obsolete and it never really worked. The math behind is beautiful but that's it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!