• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Azurecat

Setting Up a Build Directory

This topic is 2769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't find this on any websites, so maybe I'm googling the wrong thing, but...

I'm trying to set up my project directory early so I don't have this ghastly mess of files all in one folder. There's a folder for images, for source code, documentation, etc., but when I put my code into it's respective folder the compiler couldn't find it. Same thing with textures, unless I clump everything with the .vcproj file my program can't find it. So I have two questions.

1. How do you set up a clean directory structure?

2. How do you get Visual C++ express to read from, and write to, the desired locations.

As long as I'm fiddling with Visual C++ directories and such, I've also been reading about makefiles and version control. unsure.gif
Up until now I've just played with the linker settings and hit the magic green "build" arrow to compile my projects, so I never knew this stuff existed. Does anyone have any good info on building larger projects? Or at least a few things to google?

Most of my questions came out of reading chapter 4 of Game Coding Complete 3rd ed., if that helps at all.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!