• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
david_j_west

Game Idea, Feedback Wanted

This topic is 2596 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
There's only one way to figure that out, post your game idea and the type of feedback you'd like to receive.

In theory, yes. However in practice the quality and quantity of the feedback you receive is going to depend greatly on how you present your ideas.

I'd recommend against posting a complete game design document, unless the game is very simple. Expecting people to wade through a pages and pages design doc is a big ask. For anything remotely complex, I'd suggest getting feedback on individual components (e.g the combat system, victory conditions or whatever).

Don't post pages of game story and background in this forum, we're only interested in the bare minimum of background that is required to give context to the rest of the game design. For feedback on story and writing, use the Game Writing forum.

Be as clear as possible about the kind of feedback you are looking for. If you have specific concerns about certain mechanics, mention them. "Is My Combat System Fun" or "Is My Combat System Intuitive?" make much better questions than "Here Is My Combat System What Do You Think?", for example, and are more likely to get responses.

If your idea involves the letters "MMO" in any way, be prepared for largely negative feedback unless you present them extremely well and are able to sound like someone who knows what they're talking about.

Ok thanks.

The idea is loosley based on the old board game, "Axis and Allies" - I want to create a fairly simple turn-based war/strategy game set in the World War II theatre.

The screen will display a map of the world with information such as who controls what countries, what forces are there etc.

The game will be for 2 players up to a maximum of about 6-8, I want to try to create a balanced game that bears some resemblance to how things were at the start of WWII - so if only two players join then one is the Allies and one would be the Axis, if more players joined then one could be Germany, one Japan, one the US and another Britain/France for example.

Each player begins with a few countries and some army units, to simulate the approximate disposition of forces in 1939.

Players can decide to build units using the resources each country produces. I want to make the game simple to begin with (might make it more complex later) so each country simply produces a certain number of Build Points each turn that can be used to build units and factories.

Units would consist of Infantry, Tanks, Artiller, Fighter (aircraft), Bombers, Transports, Destroyers, Battleships, Carriers etc.

Players would move the units around the map to try to capture more countries and thus expand their empires and defeat their enemies.

Simple idea but lot of questions in my mind regards the detail.

For example:

Should players only be allowed to spend Build Points in the country that produced them, or can they be pooled?

Should the spent Build Points result in units being produced instantly, so they can be used on the same turn, or maybe not appear until next turn or even later?

Is this idea too simplistic, does it need more complexity?

And so on, comments welcome!

That looks like an exact copy of Axis & Allies to me. What new features are you adding that will make your game stand out from the board game?

As for producing units, they did not allow units to be used on the same turn to add a planning phase to unit creation. If you could use units on the same turn, then you could spam 10 tanks on some country and invade immediately. By delaying 1 turn, you have time to see it coming and plan your defenses accordingly. It makes the game less offensive oriented, unlike Risk where it's all about dropping a huge army near an undefended country and busting in. If you want to use your units on the same turn, you could limit the number of immediately usable units to the production value of the territory, but still allow any number of unit to be built on any territory. That could make an interesting tradeoff.

I was going to add more units, possibly nukes and allow players to build factories and have a more "realistic" combat resolution to make it differ from A&A. I'm keeping to simple to start with but if the basic concept is sound I would add things like generals, combat experience, supplies, R&D etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!