• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
superlloyd

question about vertex buffer

This topic is 2769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm new to DirectX... I started to learn by translating all 7 MSDN tutorial to C# ( http://directx4wpf.codeplex.com/ )

At any rate, in all this sample they write the vertex to the graphic memory buffer and then call something like
Context.Draw(int index, int numPoint)

And there are only 16 buffer, they say...

What I wonder about at the moment is, if I have a big world with lots of object, I can't possibly load the whole word's object at startup (can I)?
How do they do when new object come and they run out of buffer?

Sorry for the dummy question, just starting to learn...

Advertisement
[font="Calibri"]You can have has as many buffers as you want as long as the fit in your memory.[/font]

[font="Calibri"]The number 16 refer to the number of vertex buffers you can read from at the same time (per draw call). If I remember correctly the samples you want to translate are all use only one buffer at the same time.[/font]

Hooooooo... thanks!
Indeed all these tutorials have 1 buffer and I kind of believe the buffer were a precious resource..... glad to know they are just limited by memory!
Anyway, started to read / translate some samples....

A major limitation to consider is that using the normal D3D memory options, if you run out of graphics memory, either literally on the card or AGP, the vertex data will end up in system memory which means that each call to Draw*Primitive* will require transferring a large amount of data from system memory to the graphics card.

This can be a major bottleneck. Don't consider the limit to be as simple as the amount of memory in a system.

Of course, I understood it as the amount of memory on the video card! ;)
Anyway, hopefully the sample are going to teach me more, started the translation...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!