How to make colourful, cartoonish world?

Started by
0 comments, last by sunandshadow 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi, does anyone know a tutorial/book on how to make a 3D colourful level/map/world, texturing it, tricks with lightning and so on. In other words how to make colourful, cartoonish world such as in League of Legends? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I took a look at some screenshots from league of legends. It's not really what I'd consider cartoony, but it's certainly colorful. I'm not a 3D artist but I know a bit about cartooning. The 'toony nature of a character is created partly through bodily proportions. The body shape is exaggerated toward an archetype: round with large hands feet and eyes for childlike or fat characters, bodybuilder for fighters, tube/rubberband for slender athletic characters, hourglass with tiny hands and feet for sexy female characters, etc. Cartoons also are more abstract that realistic art - removing detail to make shapes more geometric (specifically preferring curves over sharp angles) will make any object look more cartoony. A book on Caricaturing is probably the best place to find instructions about how to look at a real model and choose features to exaggerate to make that model more cartoony.

As for colors, cartoons typically use cell shading, so you could look into 3D cell shading. Also for particularly bright vivid colors, that suggest to me that the textures probably have high saturation.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement