• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JohnSimor

[web] Javascript framework for mmo client?

This topic is 2681 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to create the client of my mmo in javascript/html5 but i don't know which framework to use.
All i know is that it must be free.

So we have yui, closure library, mootools, prototype, dojo, webtoolkit, cappuccino, sproutcore, ..

Which one do you think is more suited for this kind of app?

Advertisement
I can't speak to the other ones, but the client side framework that I use all the time is jQuery. It's lightweight, well-supported, and feature-rich.

I can't speak to the other ones, but the client side framework that I use all the time is jQuery. It's lightweight, well-supported, and feature-rich.

The problem with jquery, from what i have read, is that its not built for large apps.

[quote name='Dino' timestamp='1305212286' post='4809801']

The problem with jquery, from what i have read, is that its not built for large apps.
[/quote]
I'm not sure why that is. I use it in all my web applications for my job. I'm the manager and chief architect of a Web Development and Services for my current employer. My team develops web sites using advanced and cutting edge technologies. Never has jQuery been an issue for us.

What constitutes a 'large app'? If you build your app correctly and just add in large plug-ins that are needed (e.g.: Don't add jquery-ui for just the 'button' feature or a single effect), then I don't see where the problem lies. I guess because we mostly use just jQuery and a small number of developer approved plug-ins (like SimpleModal and TableSorter) and develop our own custom plug-ins when needed, we avoid a good amount of the overhead that comes with adding new plug-ins willie-nillie.

[quote name='Dino' timestamp='1305212286' post='4809801']

[/quote]

I Third the nomination of jQuery, ever since I started using it I wouldnt really be able to go to anything else. jQuery will be able to handle anything you throw at it (within reason), youll find that you are more limited by browser based properties then anything else, and even then with jquery It has made it so easy for me to do things I thought would be impossible for me to do otherwise on a web application.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!