[web] Javascript framework for mmo client?

Started by
5 comments, last by JohnSimor 12 years, 11 months ago
I want to create the client of my mmo in javascript/html5 but i don't know which framework to use.
All i know is that it must be free.

So we have yui, closure library, mootools, prototype, dojo, webtoolkit, cappuccino, sproutcore, ..

Which one do you think is more suited for this kind of app?
Advertisement
I can't speak to the other ones, but the client side framework that I use all the time is jQuery. It's lightweight, well-supported, and feature-rich.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

Currently working on Rise of Praxis MUD: http://www.riseofpraxis.net/

I can't speak to the other ones, but the client side framework that I use all the time is jQuery. It's lightweight, well-supported, and feature-rich.

The problem with jquery, from what i have read, is that its not built for large apps.

[quote name='Dino' timestamp='1305212286' post='4809801']

The problem with jquery, from what i have read, is that its not built for large apps.
[/quote]
I'm not sure why that is. I use it in all my web applications for my job. I'm the manager and chief architect of a Web Development and Services for my current employer. My team develops web sites using advanced and cutting edge technologies. Never has jQuery been an issue for us.

What constitutes a 'large app'? If you build your app correctly and just add in large plug-ins that are needed (e.g.: Don't add jquery-ui for just the 'button' feature or a single effect), then I don't see where the problem lies. I guess because we mostly use just jQuery and a small number of developer approved plug-ins (like SimpleModal and TableSorter) and develop our own custom plug-ins when needed, we avoid a good amount of the overhead that comes with adding new plug-ins willie-nillie.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

Currently working on Rise of Praxis MUD: http://www.riseofpraxis.net/

I second what Dino said, go for jQuery / jQuery UI. I've tried the rest, now I use the best.

[quote name='Dino' timestamp='1305212286' post='4809801']

[/quote]

I Third the nomination of jQuery, ever since I started using it I wouldnt really be able to go to anything else. jQuery will be able to handle anything you throw at it (within reason), youll find that you are more limited by browser based properties then anything else, and even then with jquery It has made it so easy for me to do things I thought would be impossible for me to do otherwise on a web application.
I will try jquery, it seems to be the most popular.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement