• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kaze

c++ directorys question

This topic is 2690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some programming experience but until now have been ignoring c++. I have tried both Microsoft visual c++ and code blocks but haven't use either long enough to have a preference.

First why do they both use virtual directorys? Even if I manually create directorys the IDE ignores them. Is their any way I can make it automatically match up virtual directory and namespace to the real directry structure like java, C# and actionscript do.

Secondly is their any tool to make adding 3'rd party libraries easier, like configuring a directory that that IDE automatically searches or library files to add.

Advertisement
Code::Blocks does use real directories.
VC uses virtual directories, called filter.

I guess you need Java style "directory as package" feature?
Then no in C++.
C++ only compiles what you need, so you need to manage the source code manually.

For third party libraries, unless they are quite small (only a few source code file), you should prefer compiled .lib files to source code.
Adding .lib files are quite easy in C::B and VC.

Thanks, I see how they work now.
I think I will use code blocks since it seems a lot simpler than visual c++.

Which one is simpler is quite personal opinion.

For me, VC is quite easier to debug, faster compiling, that's quite important to me.

So VC++ uses virtual directories and CB uses virtual directories unless you manually create them. What does virtual directories do other than making it a pain to move code to a new development environment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!