• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ajm113

Multiable Textures On One Static Mesh?

This topic is 2685 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question for you guys, I'm thinking on using OBJ or ASE for my levels and of course using a low poly version of the level for collision detection (kind of make a in game editor using mouse clicks and the old fashion gluUnproject). Anyways my question is: Is it possible to use more then one texture on a mesh without using GLSL or then having to make smaller meshes that go together with others just because they use different textures?

I'm trying to think of a fast and cheap way to do this then getting expensive with the model loader when it comes to multiable textures and not using one texture that has multiable textures in it for the level's walls, floors and etc.

I'm not trying to blend them together or anything like terrain. More like how Unreal Tournament 2004 loaded in static meshes and you where able to apply multiable textures on one mesh for your model.

If I have to go with todays modern day of using GLSL, I don't mind, I'm just still very new to it is all and I'm kinda shying away from it with lack of knowledge.

Thanks, Andrew.

Advertisement
Yes, it is possible with GL 1.2.
Give each texture a black border. Set them up with GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE.
Then use multitexturing (also called texture combiners), the GL_ADD mode.

Examples of Texture Combiners are here
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Texture_Combiners

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!