Applicability of physics?

Started by
1 comment, last by TheTroll 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi,

I am a fourth year undergraduate physics student, and I have always been interested and most keen at the idea of going into physics engine/software/game development. I do not however have much coding experience or aptitude, just a touch of C and the usual Matlab sort of thing. In your experience, does someone with a physics degree have a chance of getting into the field in analysis/equation design, etc? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you very much
Advertisement

In your experience, does someone with a physics degree have a chance of getting into the field in analysis/equation design, etc? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated :)

Absolutely. Your skills are very applicable to programming, specifically the problem solving and mathematics aspects. You will be able to understand systems and implement solutions more creatively than the average CS student. In the UK, adverts for programming positions always request either Physics, Mathematics or Computer Science degree.

You will have no problem getting interviews if you sell yourself well, but the difficulty is that your programming skills are likely not up to scratch. So you will want to develop a portfolio of interesting programming projects you have completed. This will give you the skills and experience required to pass the interview and test stages.
For the most part physics in games is pretty simple. Only basics physics, this isn't because they can't do more, but because more complicated physics take too much processing power.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement