• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Haxeleu

What's hot right now? (2011)

This topic is 2598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am beginner in gaming industry and I was wondering if there are new programming languages that are new to the gaming world. At the moment I am learning C++/Opengl/Directx, though I am still on Gamemaker to understand how the code works etc. Do you think that those languages that I listed are good in terms of making good 3D games ?

Keep postin'!

Advertisement

Hello, I am beginner in gaming industry and I was wondering if there are new programming languages that are new to the gaming world. At the moment I am learning C++/Opengl/Directx, though I am still on Gamemaker to understand how the code works etc. Do you think that those languages that I listed are good in terms of making good 3D games ?

Keep postin'!

You only listed one language (OpenGL and DirectX are APIs, not languages), C++ is the most popular language for AAA games today while OpenGL and DirectX are the two most commonly used APIs used to access 3D hardware (DirectX for Windows and OpenGL for Mac/Linux, Allthough a few games do use OpenGL on Windows aswell its less common).

The main thing that has started to gain alot of ground is scripting languages such as lua and python, While most games still have performance critical components written in C++ the amount of C++ code outside the engines is on its way down.

For Mobile games its pretty much all about Java(Android and J2ME phones) Objective-C (iPhone, allthough other languages such as C++ can be used) and C# (Windows Phone 7) , Symbian is pretty much the only mobile platform where C++ is the recommended development language (And with Nokias switch towards WP7 its future is uncertain).

None of the languages are exactly new though, i guess C# is the most recent one (C# 1.2 was standardized by ECMA in 2001).

The newest programming language i know of would be Go (2009) but it hasn't seen much professional use yet. (Given its age thats not surprising though, it takes a long time for a language to gain users, C# is pretty much unique in how fast it has gained its marketshare)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!