d3d11 Hardware Geometry Shader

Started by
2 comments, last by Jason Z 12 years, 11 months ago
In the NVIDIA "GPU Programming Guide Geforce 8 and 9 Series" they basically say that the GS is not very good, and really only recommend it for point sprites. This document is about 3 years old now, and I am just wondering if anyone has read in a newer document that they have improved things with Fermi architecture.
-----Quat
Advertisement
With SM5 you have more powerful tool to generate new vertices/triangles - tessleation (hull & domain shaders).
For example read this: Tessellation of Displaced Subdivision Surfaces in DX11.
In my experience it's generally okay as long as you don't emit too many new primitives/verts, and your post-vertex-shader vertex structure isn't too big. Using it for tessellation or to send a single primitive to multiple render targets just isn't worth it.

With SM5 you have more powerful tool to generate new vertices/triangles - tessleation (hull & domain shaders).
For example read this: Tessellation of Displaced Subdivision Surfaces in DX11.

The problem with this is that you can only generate triangles. If you want more fine control over what you are making, the GS is a good choice. However, as MJP said, it has to be used for the right things. I have found that the sending of geometry to multiple render targets can be helpful in a number of cases, especially if there is some moderately expensive vertex level processing (i.e. skinning).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement