Need help thinking of a name for a third person shooter.

Started by
41 comments, last by Ghostknight 12 years, 10 months ago
OK guys i need help thinking of a name for a 3rd person shooter, because well, i am pretty much stumped :) . Ok here is a quick recap of the storyline so far, i haven't finished it yet, but anyway, it is a 3rd person shooter where you play as the main character Alex Blake(Yet to be confirmed), a secret agent who works for a agency( no name for that yet, provide one if you want, i have a symbol for them) which takes care of the worlds terrorist problems, but anyway after doing recon in the middle east and overseeing a meeting between 10 of the worlds most powerful people, take pictures of the meeting but get knocked out after only to awaken in hospital. But anyway to get to the point one of the people who was at the meeting is the leader of the agency you work for and because you got mild amnesia after getting knocked out you forgot alot about the secretive meeting and the "Boss" i shall call him, doesn't want to be found out so he tells you to kill all the other members of the meeting. So all in all it is a 3rd person shooter conspiracy theory where you have to threaten/kill people like the president and the prime minister. Sorry if i have waffled on i just find it hard to get my ideas across. Please help me.
Advertisement
Hello KingofSwing94,

I would like to help you out on your game title, but from reading your quick sypnosis (backstory) it seems cliche. Most shooter games or storylines some how begin with amnesia or being tide up in a chair under heavy guard or no guard what so ever to get out of the area after being woken up by some guy or female on a monitor screen and telling the subject at hand to just go kill their enemy targets so he or she doesn't have to.

But maybe there is a certain reason why you have this main character in a hospital.
I can see a chase out of the hospital from the top floor or some where in the middle of the floors or Alex races to the stair well and runs and jumps between the stair wells being chased by the (Enigma Corporation ?) As Alex gets to the parking lot structure he must fight his way through the blockaides of Doctors, Nurses, Security Officers, Police Officers, and men in white or black suits or some different colored suits that are trying to get Alex back to sadate him. At one end of the parking garage he finds a motorcycle in a caged area and uses a tool from the area from maintenance to cut the chain and hop onto the cycle and starts it up and more enemy characters follows suit after him inside the cage. Alex uses the cycle to spin out and thrust the enemy characters back to the cage fence and Alex races off to find the exit. Alex heads into a blockaide again from the ground level exit so he finds another route and decides to go up the ramp to the top floor of the parking garage. The ramp is a spiral ramp and Alex drives up this. All the while being shot at from the enemy from every other floor and from vehicles chasing Alex. But when Alex gets to the top of the parking structure no where to go. But on the other side of the hospital grounds he sees more parking garages. Alex takes off through the double pane window doors and drives through the top floor of the hospital corridors. Around blind corners and through the hospital patient glass record room. Glass shatters everywhere. Crowd scatters. The speakers are blown with the security officers to alert other officers from around the hospital complex that a dangerous patient is trying to escape. Alex gets to the other side of the hospital complex and finds the much larger parking garage. He drives up the ramps and gets to the top.

Finally at the top, there Alex sees a package at one end of the parking lot. Alex gets to the package.

It reads.

Mr. Blake Open Immediately!

Alex turns around and sees no one yet. He opens the package and finds a parachute with a note. The note tells him to jump off the building before its to late. When you get to the ground. Go to (unknown location) and wait for new orders. Just when Alex was putting on the parachute pack, parking garage doors open up with a horde of men running and shooting at Alex. Alex steps onto the edge and jumps off. Half way down the Alex pulls the chord and his parachute opens up and an explosion rips from the parking garage. The explosion was just large enough to cause some damage to the crew running after Alex.

Police sirens and fire trucks off in the distance drive to help the victims at the hospital. Alex glides a few miles away into the city Middle East streets to find some cover for awhile to get his new orders whatever it may be. At this moment a Title sequence is shown.

Alex Blake is King of Swing
or
Alex Blake is King Shooter
Operation Waterstrike
Task Force
The Target
Missing in Service
AhHa i like i like alot. @Ghostknight i like the idea and the name Enigma Corporation, sounds powerful and secretive. Also i love the idea might write this down in a plan so i remember and maybe i will change it abit. I know about the cliche but i am trying to make it different. @Fayt i love the name The Target, because it sounds like the main character is on the run getting chased alot, and that is what the game implies. Please don't steal my idea, i know you kind lot won't anyway, but i really would like to make this. I f i need more help or want feedback for my ideas i know were to come. Also what could a name be for a biohazardess chemical company be, it is run by a big burly swedish man, who looks abit like jaws off bond, i was thinking of something like Verios coz that could be his second name, Damien Verios?
Aye, go ahead. Feel free to take the idea. Its yours bro. Glad you liked it. Yeah Damien Verios sounds like an interesting name already. Feel free to ask more feedback on suggestions, ideas, concepts, backstories etc.

I wrote that hospital escape chase scene with a Jason Bourne esque sence of style. Quick, Heroing, I also wrote it like I see it. Would love to see this part and maybe any more other parts as a film script.
Steal your idea? we video game makers don't do that, we come up with our own stuff. Anyone who rips off and copies should be shot.
Yeah sorry about that Fayt. @GhostKnight Thanks, for the idea mate. Another scene i thought up was a escape an airport scene ( Miami International to be exact) after waiting to board a flight to Shanghai, you notice a couple of shifty guys in black suits, black shades and them curly earpieces. You decide to move away up the escalator but don't notice two more men coming from above and then this leads to a button pressing fight scene on the escalator featuring four men. After fighting these and taking their guns you try to escape the airport, but get shot at by others and this leads you to the runway where your plane has already taken off, so you getting a message by (the intel guy might call him Ajax) who gives you info throughout the game like "take a left here" or "this is happening here", has loads of maps and intel, you know what i mean? But anyway you have to sneak onto a Antonov AN-225 that is going to Shanghai. That is a quick draft sort of. At the beginning of the hospital scene which is going to be set in Cairo you could nearly get suffocated by someone trying to get you, but you fight him and kill him on the drip or something, this in turn alerts the nurses and you push past them and thus leading to your idea. Also i was thinging of having some kind of dynamic cover system, so different materials have different bullet resistances and they break in real time, e.g a wooden crate has less bullet resistance than a planes seats and will also break quicker, just to spice things up? Give any feedback you want. Also how do i get rep on Gamedev i always wondered?

[EDIT] I was thinking of having Alex as a James Bond/Jack Buaer off 24, but only the high-techness of Bond though.
What about this Game Title?

1: Enigma Theory
Yeah. Go for the timing of hide and seek from dodging or crouching under, behind, around corners from being sought after, Use disguises to get through a wel crowded area in malls, airport terminals, hospital lounges, city streets, amusement parks, stadiums, entertainment venues.

Can obtain any vehicle in close proximity to take advantage for offense and defense covers.

Combat from each location can be obtained after being trained or sub trained by the unit Alex works for or by citizens he encounters helps him out. This way its like an upgrade for the character / player to learn through the world instead of having the combat already handed to the character. Well. Alex will already have some training from the unit he works with or maybe some hidden talent he has learned before getting pushed into the unit he works for.

During the game, Alex can acquire flight lessons? Not like GTA. Where you just get in a plane and fly and the plane or helicopter dynamics are meager. But just to let everyone know that was not a flame or put down on Rockstar's GTA franchise. I enjoy those games. I am relating it to the dynamics and ability to fly.

Just some ideas to incorporate for KingofSwing94's video game storyline. I put that idea in the reference to make it like James Bond due to him always or nearly seen in flying planes or taking planes to exotic places.

To answer your question about REP on Gamedev.
You can give rep to other members on the forum who you think or have read a good or great article that you enjoyed or others have given good or great advice helping others like I have given you. Just click on the thumbs up or thumbs down at the lower part of the topic when you few topic windows. Reputation points are a good way to show others that your feedback are helpful for others to learn more about something they don't know have haven't learned yet. But You already know this by now.

Keep up the great work on your game project. It has potential.
I like the idea of Enigma Theory, but it doesn't really suit a 3rd person shooter i thought more like a puzzle game than anything else. I would love to just throw together all the great aspects of all my fave games, for example Hitman's disguise wearing crusade to sneak into restricted areas, Tomb Raider's ledge grabbing hijinxs to reach high places and safety, Splinter Cell Conviction's detection meter and stealth takedowns, but doesn't this just make it any other 3rd person shooter but with a different storyline, i want this to be different (not to sound boastful) for example with the cover system i have already told you about, where each type of cover has a different (lets call it density) just to spice it up so the player can't hide behind one piece of cover and just think "i'll pop everyone in the head from here", i want them to think "I'll quickly dive roll behind this desk for a couple of shots, while i pick off a couple of goons, then i will...OH SHIT! did you see that explosion,but where the hells my cover gone" that sort of gameplay, like Gears had certain destruction of the cover, this could have full destruction, like a roll of a grenade can turn the tables for good or for worse leveling the playing field in the process. Also maybe the implication of a "damage" system i shall call it, for example shooting a enemy in the head will obviously kill them right out but a shot to the foot,COME'ON how will that kill a person alright they will fall to the ground but if you really wanted to kill your attacker wouldn't you just get behind cover and start shooting, wouldn't it be cool if you thought you had killed someone only to run past their cover and get shot point blank with a shotgun in the leg rendering you in "man down mode".Sweet Revenge. Also on any other games i have played lets takes Tomb Raider when picking up a weapon off the ground why does Lara bend over like shes trying to fit in a oven to pick up the gun, how about lets take the final scene off Wanted, if you've seen it, bullets whizzing past the main character as he runs through a office block, desks on either side, enemies at the other end of the room unleashing magazines into the air as red hot shrapnel skims past your face, out of ammo and a body lays on the ground around 5 feet away, so if this was Lara she would be shot up the arse before you can say banged, if this was anybody else wouldn't you run in towards the next piece of cover, then in slow-motion, throw away the gun in your hand and kick-flick the one on the ground into yours hands in one swift move, back to normal speed, now with a new weapon you slide towards the next cover while shooting people in the head like it's an involuntary reaction, now imagine the player "o-o............. oh did you see that", meanwhile throwing the controller into the air in such shock and awe. Now wouldn't that be nice!!!

I am off to have driving and shooting sections, i will E-Mail or send you the typed up design plan after i have done it, because of all of the ideas and compliments you have given me.:cool:

I don't know about the idea of flying lessons, thought Alex could be a bit like Splinter Cell's Splinter Cell agents (even though i said i wouldn't copy LOL) who have loads of training in combat and moderate flying experience, only going to use a helicopter in the game, but i could have a shooting range and combat dummy in Alex's condo, oh yeah i forgot to mention that Alex's condo is going to be like a break between scenes and an actual level, also his condo could be used instead of a menu, so the TV is for things like sound and video options, while his PDA or Laptop is to start the game, i want the player to think I AM ALEX BLAKE SECRET AGENT.

Thanks for the help! Please post back i would love to here your feedback.

P.s I am also trying to get the vehicles controls to map out on a controller properly, for example a speedboat has a wheel and a lever that you move back and forwards to control the speed, so the left thumbstick will be for the speed and the right is for the wheel. Any ideas? Might be tricky i know but still?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement