Sign in to follow this  
ChaosFollowing

Opinions on UDK

ChaosFollowing    122
I'm very interested in Game Design, and have a few mini-prototypes I've made in C#/XNA. Just 2D stuff so far.

Anyway, I'm wanting to take the plunge into making a full game. I think I have a decent concept, relatively simple with lots of complexity I can add on later.

The game would play similarly to a RTS, though you'd only directly control 1 character. I'm very interested in learning/implementing AI(unit behaviour, animal flocking, etc.) and Procedural Generation(Terrain/Building locations/Unit Names/etc.)

Can anyone with UDK experience tell me if the Engine gives you enough control/freedom(or even help) for these things? C# is my only language at the moment, but I can read/understand Basic/Java/C++ to some degree, and don't mind learning the scripting language with UDK.

Thanks! :)

Serapth    6671
[quote name='ChaosFollowing' timestamp='1305411508' post='4810863']
I'm very interested in Game Design, and have a few mini-prototypes I've made in C#/XNA. Just 2D stuff so far.

Anyway, I'm wanting to take the plunge into making a full game. I think I have a decent concept, relatively simple with lots of complexity I can add on later.

The game would play similarly to a RTS, though you'd only directly control 1 character. I'm very interested in learning/implementing AI(unit behaviour, animal flocking, etc.) and Procedural Generation(Terrain/Building locations/Unit Names/etc.)

Can anyone with UDK experience tell me if the Engine gives you enough control/freedom(or even help) for these things? C# is my only language at the moment, but I can read/understand Basic/Java/C++ to some degree, and don't mind learning the scripting language with UDK.

Thanks! :)
[/quote]

I know Im totally not answering the question you asked.... but....

If you are looking for a full featured engine and you have C# experience, why are you looking at UDK and not Unity?

ChaosFollowing    122
Thanks for the mention of Unity, just had a look at it now.

UDK seems to have more support/options available, including a more populated forum. I also prefer the pricing option with UDK. I can release it for free with no splash-screen/etc, and if I want to sell it I'm spending $99 rather than $1500 (for the first $50,000 profit anyway, but let's safely assume this isn't going to make me millions).

UDK also gives you all the options up front, like dynamic shadows, which Unity you need the $1,500 pro version for.

Its good to shop around though, so I do appreciate the mention. And looking around has answered a few of my questions; UDK does support some AI stuff like flocking, and I can add code with C++ for anything that's missing, which I don't mind learning.

kamikkaze    123
You gonna deal with [u][b]UnrealScript[/b][/u] in UDK wich is not so much different from C++ or Java and C#
Take some time to learn and understand but it's worth once you want to create some stuff in the Engine.
And the price imo is the great advantage over Unit...
And it is in constant updates :)