Looking for criticism

Started by
7 comments, last by weseadit 12 years, 10 months ago
A few of you might remember me from years ago. I'm older, a bit wiser, and have returned to seek advice and criticism. Thanks for listening.

The skulls are attacking me [mp3]
Genre: Fighting
[/quote]

Absolution into the Sky [ mp3 ] [ ogg ]
"Let great wings take them to distant stars, for this is the dawn of a new epoch."[/quote]

The Inner Chamber [mp3] [ogg]
"...in our search for the material, we had discovered a vast underground system of ancient monoliths.
The impressive structures were formed of rock, however, an archaic science of metal gears and other such
molding had been grafted to them as well as inside of them. Their purpose we do not yet understand..."[/quote]

Black Sky Theme [mp3] [ogg]
"I had placed highest in my class, but nothing could prepare me for the day I met the crew for the first time."
This song could be good for choosing your party, upgrading your ship, etc.[/quote]

High Tension [mp3] [ogg]
"This galaxy proved more difficult than we had first thought. Treacherous asteroid fields blocked our paths and required excellent maneuvering on our part."
[/quote]

Forward March [mp3] [ogg]
Possibly for a Black Sky trailer? Also, this one isn't completed just yet. Gotta fix some timing issues here and there. Perhaps I'll slap a fade-in onto it. But besides that, it's done.
[/quote]

A sketch [mp3]
[/quote]
Advertisement
Eh? Still nothing?
Bump + soundcloud
Nice! Reminds me a little of Wagner
Why thank you very much :)
Compositionally your work is really good! There's only a few points I'd like to make.

-Wet the reverb more on your drum parts. Sending the kick and snare further back spatially in the mix will add to the huge size of your tracks.
-Try playing with the attack on your snare sound. It's good tonally, but it lacks that precise definition, and it tends to sponge up your drum tracks in certain parts. I would say use a more precise snare, and double them to achieve the group marching sound you're going for.
-Some parts of your song could use a little quantization, especially on the drum parts. That's the rhythm that people subconsciously attach to, and if it drifts it can affect the effectiveness of your piece.
-Play with the tempo more during the melody parts. Not a lot, but creating a tempo change of 5-6 bpm at certain parts of the song can help the melody gain or lessen intensity. This is something John Williams does on almost everything.

Everything sounds awesome man! I'd love to hear more!
Pete Dupon
Sound Design, FX, Foley for Games and Film
Portfolio
Definitely agree on the quantization remark. You're using decent enough samples and have good enough ideas that having some sloppy rhythms can really disrupt or detract from your work. Also are you working with velocity settings and automation (similar to the tempo changes remarks from above)? If not, try exploring this.

Inner Chamber was particularly enjoyable! Nice job with the subtle chords and environmental effects. Very effective piece!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

The Zelda Temple of Time is a beast. I kinda wanted to rap to it....even though I'm not a rapper. xD

Confined to Synthetic data was pretty good but it didn't draw me in as much.

K3 was very different from what I thought it would be. It would make the best epic battle theme.

Our Storm I took me a bit by surprise. It's ambient. It's the kind of music that would put you to sleep.

Well I can guess what kind of skulls those are....One thing about the song though, it sounds like you maybe used too much compression.

Bstheme doesn't sound too bad except the drums sound kinda low. The marching kinda reminds me of the Rufus Parade theme from FFVII.

The inner chamber sounds very haunting. It makes you think of a place that carries dark secrets.

I love the part at 0.05 seconds in Forward March where the horn blasts and the music kinda falls away. That pause is the best. The violin sounded a little off-beat somewhere in there but at least it doesn't sound mechanically perfect in every bar.

You can actually really hear the tension in High Tension. Sometimes it's hard to fit the music to a certain mood but you did very well with this one.

Absolution in the sky sounds really pretty.

I noticed you have a lot of drama in your compositions lol. Drama makes the music though.

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

Seconded about the quantization. That's the first thing I noticed. Relatedly, a lot of instruments are "blurry"; the attack and falloff is too slow and it sometimes clashes with the intended tempo. Counterexample.

Don't be afraid to use instruments that don't sound like they'd fit on paper. Synthesizers, saxophones, go nuts.

That track from Turok 2 has a synth choir join in along with the piano around a minute and a half in. (That game has a stunning soundtrack. Dissect it.)
[bquote]The skulls are attacking me [mp3]

Genre: Fighting[/bquote]

-- I like it. Has some unterlying tension.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement