Creating a "Complex" evolution simulation.

Started by
1 comment, last by Waterlimon 12 years, 10 months ago
I'm currently brainstorming an evolution sim, a Darwin Pond.The pool is populated with random distributions of organisms that contain simple traits like size, strength, vision range, prey/predator/mate profiles, thresholds of hunger, fight or flight, etc.They will all be hermaphroditic, reproducing sexually and existing in a loop that basically says, "If you're not being chased and you're not hungry, reproduce." The thresholds of each of those statuses (how hungry before "hungry," how close a predator gets before running, etc.) is determined genetically.This seems like it'd be easy enough to implement for a bunch of unicellular blobs, but not very interesting.My basic question is:Is there a way for these organisms to possess modular complexity? Multicelled organisms? Or at least different traits in a Spore-like fashion?Or even AI-related, advanced behaviors such as approaching food slowly and then moving fast?I'm hesitant to just create "specific" body parts like arms, legs, mouth, etc, simply because it makes the evolution so simple. Is there any way to develop other means of approaching these ideas? [font="arial, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, sans-serif"]http://www.ventrella...win/darwin.html[/font][font="arial, sans-serif"]This site is a Darwin pond focusing completely on the motility of the organisms through use of water-based physics and tentacles.

Edit: In addition, size, energy, and movement of organisms will be managed by basic physics elements; energy is required to accelerate their masses. So obviously, larger organisms will move slower, etc.
I've also decided that a pretty simple way to manage their hunting-acceleration mechanics would be with a polynomial function, where each coefficient is managed by a gene. [/font]
Advertisement
i have thought about this before, the solution i came up with was as follows:

you need to classify each cell type you are going to have, i had.

brain(or calculation rate)
threshold(or stomach)
movement(or legs)
strength(or mouth)
sense(or eyes)
structure(or skin)

each one starts out as a single brain(which at a single node was just whether it was female or male) and a movement, where they just went for the closest food or mate possible, if it was food then repeated, if mate it died.(but they spawned 6 new ones)

each new one had the chance to add an additional module, a brain module would make it have a higher % chance at dodging a preditor(one with higher strength), a threshold let them mate twice before dying(but it needed food afterwards before it could mate again), this kept older "weaker" ones alive for food for new generations, an additional movement made them move faster, an additional strength allowed them to eat anything lower strength, which meant more food, an additional sense increased sense range, and structure did nothing yet.

rules;
once they hit around 10 modules, they started needing 1 structure per 10 to keep growing, and i kept those all joined, with a more focus on straight lines(made spiky snakes mainly lol)

movement modules had to be on the outside, or they did nothing, and if they were on opposing sides they cancelled each other out.(needed to make it so ones on the side could help, but didnt figure out how to do that, meant everything i made had big tails)

everything had to mate->eat->mate->eat, they didnt die from hunger(i tried that for a while, but populations kept dying out with bad luck occasionally)

everything checked its nieghbours to see if they would eat them or if they were food, a higher brain increased thier chances at acurate guesses(and less wasted time, meaning more genetic offspring)
For the multicellular creatures, you could make the cells be able to emit a chemical or send some other kind of signal.

The only difference between 2 cells belonging to different bodies would be that they cant understand each others signals, at least not if you have kept them separate while evolving.

Different types of cells can live together, for example if the cells detect some signal given by an 'enemy' cell wich emits some kind of signaling thing to communicate with its friends, it can emit a signal to warn the other cells living with it. Even a single cell is enough to do that job.

Not sure how would you get them to reproduce realistically though. (You CAN make them act differently based on the types of signals they receive but i dont think thats realistic...)

For a creature with just single type of cells that should work well though. Just make a complex enough system so the cells are smart enough to do stuff like move to the direction of signal a if received signal b (the signals can be the same), and a ton of other stuff so they can actually evolve.

This might work:
1.The cell notices that a simple pattern has happened
2.The cell reacts to that pattern by producing a pattern of actions

It might also check for patterns of patterns, depends how smart you want them to be :P

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement