Foreigner renting in USA for a few months

Started by
33 comments, last by d000hg 12 years, 8 months ago
[color="#ff0000"]Update 7/26/2011: jump to new post

We're thinking about having an extended 'holiday' to the USA for a few months as a bit of an experiment - to see if we like living abroad and leaving everyone we know without having to go through it for real. I work as a kind of freelancer so can keep on top of things anywhere, and my wife is considering volunteering at a kindergarten since we know a work permit is likely to be too complicated to be worth it for only 3 months.
Because it's not for such a long time, I think we need what's called a "serviced apartment" in the UK... essentially a cross between hotel and renting so you get a fully furnished apartment with utilities, cable, internet all provided. It doesn't seem realistic to rent normally and have to sign up for internet, especially as foreigners with all the paperwork.

I'm interested in any thoughts from those in the US, but we're particularly looking at California somewhere. I'd love to know any information about the right search terms to use costs, things I should look out for unique to USA/CA, etc. Any links for official information like immigration/visa issues I should use - UK/US have relaxed attitude on visas for short visits but I'm sure they won't allow us to just turn up for several months.

All constructive contributions welcome!
Advertisement
I think your main bet is to look at extended stay hotels. They're furnished, all utilities included, have small kitchens, and you can get really nice discounts when staying for 30 days or more.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

I think your main bet is to look at extended stay hotels. They're furnished, all utilities included, have small kitchens, and you can get really nice discounts when staying for 30 days or more.

Please don't do this, expensive and you'll hate your life after a few days.

Just rent a furnished apartment for a few months or do a sub-lease (where you take over for someone's lease before it ends so they don't pay a penalty). If you have to, you can rent furniture for not that much (around $100-$200 a month).

Craigslist is a good place to start for unconventional renting, apartments.com or rent.com may work too.

Unique to CA is high crime, ultra-liberalism, mud slides, uncontrollable brush fires, earth quakes, and outrageous pricing. Also, great beaches, good looking women, lots of poker, and In-n-Out burger.

If you're in the UK you're probably used to higher prices, for us suburban americans it's a little crazy. I rented a 1 bedroom apartment in a craphole outside Sacramento for the same price as my 3 bedroom house outside Charlotte.

Unless you're abnormal though you will have a damn good time, California has something for everyone and the year I spent with my wife there was one of the best times of our life.
Finding an apartment to sublease came to mind, but he may have difficulties getting all the utilities and whatnot setup due to being a foreigner. There is a lot of variety that you find, though. There are also professional apartment finders who are zero cost to you because they make their money from the actual apartment complexes.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

Finding an apartment to sublease came to mind, but he may have difficulties getting all the utilities and whatnot setup due to being a foreigner. There is a lot of variety that you find, though. There are also professional apartment finders who are zero cost to you because they make their money from the actual apartment complexes.

The last couple apartments I rented at had a "short term" furnished unit where they just billed the renter all the utitlities. It was a few hundred extra a month but probably much more convenient in a situation like this. I don't think you would know though unless you called each specific complex and asked about it.
So far, I've done a couple of quick Googles in areas like SF and Palo Alto and been rather surprised with prices; ~$200/day even when booking for 30+ days. That's more expensive than the same accommodation in central London! Maybe I'm searching for the wrong things.

As far as I know, I definitely need an arrangement where utilities are not billed to me directly but either included (preferable) or billed to the landlord and I pay them. Trying to get an account with a utility company for 3 months with no SSN just sounds like a great way to get annoyed!

So I saw the term "temporary" mentioned a few times, is this what I refer to as "serviced"?

BTW, in my mind I was imagining more an apartment in a house than in a block/complex. Is the latter more common... nicely laid out apartments with shared amenities, maybe a pool, etc?

... we know a work permit is likely to be too complicated to be worth it for only 3 months.

I'm interested in any thoughts from those in the US, but we're particularly looking at California somewhere. I'd love to know any information about the right search terms to use costs, things I should look out for unique to USA/CA, etc. Any links for official information like immigration/visa issues I should use - UK/US have relaxed attitude on visas for short visits but I'm sure they won't allow us to just turn up for several months.

California is huge, so you'll want to refine your search to just a few of its locations. Compare over 400 000 square km of California to the 243 000 square km of the entire UK.

California also includes a wide range of climates with a range of population densities. You can choose from dense population coastal cities like LA, San Diego, and San Francisco. If you want to get away from the people, there are many smaller suburban and sparse coastal towns. You can choose the forest in the mountains with cities like Sacramento or smaller towns like Grass Valley or Truckee. Similarly there are cities and towns in the desert; there aren't many desert places like Death Valley in the UK. :-) There are many places not just in California but across the United States that are basically vacant of humans, if you wanted to take that route.

Choosing smaller towns may be harder to find work with your visa since there are fewer options, but still should not be too difficult.

Just like in the UK, the availability and costs will vary by location. You will have many options for short-term living within the bigger cities, but it will cost more. Many towns and suburbs have apartments that match your requirements to varying degrees, and with varying costs.

Assuming you can narrow your list down to a few cities, Google can be your friend. The search "short term furnished apartments Pasadena" gives hundreds of housing options just outside of Los Angeles; most cost under $400/month and are fully furnished. They range from blocks of apartments to smaller (and a bit more expensive) condo-style units that are basically the same as the UK description of serviced units. You can also find smaller basement apartments or duplex houses in the price range, but these are much less likely to be fully furnished and serviced.
Thanks Frob. Truth is we don't really have a fixed place, I appreciate CA is pretty massive after trying to take a 'quick' drive from LA -> SF along hwy1! The only thing we'd likely rule out is desert. SF itself seems nice, probably LA also although my concern is to make sure it's not some grotty apartment with scummy neighbours :)
Loads of my searches are coming up $3-4k per month which to me seems a lot.

I was not planning on a work visa on the basis it would be too hard to get. Anyone know otherwise?

You're coming up with $3-4k per month because the San Francisco bay area is one of the most expensive places in the country to live. You could get a really awesome place in say Austin or even Chicago for half that.

You specifically listed San Francisco. That is one of the most population-dense cities in the nation. It's a popular location not just for business, but also for vacation and pleasure travel. The bay itself is limited by space, nestled between mountains and the ocean, making the land very expensive. You might as well be looking for a spot central London for equivalent cost.

The places you'll find in San Francisco proper are not made for residential stays, but are generally for 2-3 week suites for business travelers and vacationers with fat wallets.

You'll probably want more traditional residence farther away from the city. You'll likely need to find somewhere more than an hour drive from the city before it becomes inexpensive. The problem is that you either need to go over the mountains, or face the long drives and slow drop in property value as it enters suburbia in the desert. Personally I suggest the mountains, Felton and Boulder Creek are beautiful areas. Not exactly cheap, but close enough to the bay area and outside the desert.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement