The best software to make a mmorpg?

Started by
9 comments, last by SimonForsman 12 years, 11 months ago

what is the best software to make a mmorpg with good graphics (NOT realm crafter!!) and i does not have to come with a server because i can set that up myself. well pretty much the best software to make a rpg because i have try to use unity3d and blender but they arnt ment for anythink like that.

thanks -josh
Advertisement

what is the best software to make a mmorpg with good graphics (NOT realm crafter!!) and i does not have to come with a server because i can set that up myself. well pretty much the best software to make a rpg because i have try to use unity3d and blender but they arnt ment for anythink like that.

thanks -josh

http://www.microsoft...xpress/Windows/

Knock yourself out.

(Allthough seriously, if you have to ask that question Realm Crafter is the best software out there at your skill level)

(Blender is still a great tool to make your graphics in btw)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

[quote name='DJG2011' timestamp='1305575342' post='4811597']

thanks -josh

Knock yourself out.

(Allthough seriously, if you have to ask that question Realm Crafter is the best software out there at your skill level)

[/quote]

well then what do think is better blender or unity3d in making a rpg type game
I think you should take a look at this page, it's a very good read on MMORPG development ;)

I gets all your texture budgets!

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1305576865' post='4811612']
[quote name='DJG2011' timestamp='1305575342' post='4811597']

thanks -josh

Knock yourself out.

[/quote]

well then what do think is better blender or unity3d in making a rpg type game
[/quote]

Those are completely different tools, Blender is a 3D modeller / animation tool that also happens to have a game engine built into it (The game engine is a fairly new addition to blender and its really not that great yet), Unity3D is just a game engine but its a fairly good one.

If you choose to go with Unity3D (Which imo is the better of those 2 options as far as game engines go) you'd still need a tool to create your 3d models in (assuming its a 3d game ofcourse) so using both of them can be a really good idea, Unity directly supports loading models created with the following 3D modelling tools:
* Maya
* Cinema 4D
* 3ds Max
* Cheetah3D
* Modo
* Lightwave
* Blender

Blender is one of the best free 3D modellers on the market and has been used in professional large budget productions so for your artwork it is a really good choice. (There are alternatives such as truespace and milkshape3D that have a reasonable pricetag aswell). (You'd also want some 2D graphics editors aswell, paint.net, paintshop pro and the gimp are some free/cheap high quality tools for raster graphics and you can use inkscape for vector graphics.

Its important to remember that Unity is a general purpose engine though so making an RPG using it requires quite alot of work compared to using a more focused engine. (The advantage with this however is that you have far more control over the end result).

a More important question however when deciding what tools you should use is:
What programming languages do you know ?
What other games have you made in the past ?

If the answer to the two above is none then:
Are you prepared to learn how to program and if so, how much time are you prepared to spend learning it ?
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/au/default.aspx?cmpid=RXGOOGAUSBSR&gclid=CPGeodX37agCFQbybwodtH3yCQ
im finding c#/xna not too bad... im probably going to hit major memory problems sooner or lately tho

c++ is what most are made in i would assume (although i have seen a few made in flash/java)
Your best bet is spending $$$ on something like Hero Engine. Unity3d can make an mmorpg...you just have to know how to do it.
[size="5"]http://innercirclegames.freeforums.org
Email me at: innercirclegames@hotmail.com
Since no-one has said this already, I guess I'm going to:

If you're asking how to make an MMORPG in the "For Beginners" forum (or anywhere for that matter), then you're not ready to make an MMORPG.

Since no-one has said this already, I guess I'm going to:

If you're asking how to make an MMORPG in the "For Beginners" forum (or anywhere for that matter), then you're not ready to make an MMORPG.

He's not asking to make an MMORPG... He's asking for a game maker to do it for him, that requires very little programming experience. Anybody can do that.

And technically, I could make an MMORPG, with very little programming experience.

It is a massively multiplayer online role playing game.

Therefore, an RPG with online scores is technically an MMORPG. (as long as the game is massive, cuz there is obviously not going to be massive amounts of players.)
And you can make an RPG in a console application, just hook it up to a database and BAM you got an MMORPG.
I am a sesquipidalian.

Go not where the path leads, but rather walk somewhere new and leave a trail.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement