How did you learn modern OpenGL?

Started by
14 comments, last by Yours3!f 12 years, 11 months ago
Ok well I want to hear you story of how you learned modern OpenGL if you learned it at all. Go ahead and post your story! I am excited to get reading!
Advertisement
Just started out the same way as everyone else with my first glBegin triangle, then picked up VBOs for speed, and shaders cause they sounded fun and cool. Really not much more to it than that.

Looking at the big picture the API is not really a big deal. Whether you're using ancient immediate mode opengl, modern DirectX/OpenGL with buffers and shaders, or something else, the underlying graphics theory is all the same. Once you understand the theory behind things, then the API is just a tool for you to use.

"Modern OpenGL" is just shader syntax and API calls, its the theory that's most important to understand.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
well, in the beginning of this year I decided to port my "engine" to OGL 3.3 and it didn't go without problems. One thing I really disliked is you can't specify (in SDL 1.2) that you only want to get the OGL 3.3 profile, and because of this I had to use GLEW, and I have to check whether the function I'm using is proper core profile or deprecated. For this I use the official OGL 4.1 reference pages. However now that I have a solid set of functions for rendering I think I can start to use the modern features of OGL 3.3, the new functions, shader stuff etc. Because between 3.3 and 4.1 there is no such huge difference as between 2.1 and 3.3 (you can't use: immediate mode, matrix functions, GLU etc) I think moving to 4.1 will be seamless. I'm really looking forward to using tessellation and compute shaders for advanced effects.

well, in the beginning of this year I decided to port my "engine" to OGL 3.3 and it didn't go without problems. One thing I really disliked is you can't specify (in SDL 1.2) that you only want to get the OGL 3.3 profile, and because of this I had to use GLEW, and I have to check whether the function I'm using is proper core profile or deprecated. For this I use the official OGL 4.1 reference pages. However now that I have a solid set of functions for rendering I think I can start to use the modern features of OGL 3.3, the new functions, shader stuff etc. Because between 3.3 and 4.1 there is no such huge difference as between 2.1 and 3.3 (you can't use: immediate mode, matrix functions, GLU etc) I think moving to 4.1 will be seamless. I'm really looking forward to using tessellation and compute shaders for advanced effects.

Ya, SDL sucks. Try freeGLUT, although freeGLUT documentation sucks.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Just started out the same way as everyone else with my first glBegin triangle, then picked up VBOs for speed, and shaders cause they sounded fun and cool. Really not much more to it than that.

Looking at the big picture the API is not really a big deal. Whether you're using ancient immediate mode opengl, modern DirectX/OpenGL with buffers and shaders, or something else, the underlying graphics theory is all the same. Once you understand the theory behind things, then the API is just a tool for you to use.

"Modern OpenGL" is just shader syntax and API calls, its the theory that's most important to understand.

What do you think the best resource for learning the theory is? Preferably not a book on theory as those can be very wordy and time consuming.

Well what I am wondering is, how do you move your objects around the scene? This is where I am currently stuck. I would like to use shaders for this but I do not know how. I have seen stuff where they call a "uniform" float in a shader then send the data in the c++ program to it. But I tried that and could compile my shader.
I use both immediate and VBO's in my 2D engine. The immediate mode I still use for rendering my user interface. It's easier to render rectangles, etc.. I do have plans to port them to VBO's in order to also be able to try out DirectX, but never came to it yet. The VBO's (or VB array's for those ancient systems) together with shaders I use for rendering the tiles and objects.

Transforming directly the OpenGL matrices in order to move the objects is one way, but you can also move objects using the shaders using the uniform data variables of shaders. You then only have to tranform the matrix in the shader. I found Lighthouse - uniform variables a good read about them.

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

Well what I am wondering is, how do you move your objects around the scene? This is where I am currently stuck. I would like to use shaders for this but I do not know how. I have seen stuff where they call a "uniform" float in a shader then send the data in the c++ program to it. But I tried that and could compile my shader.
[/quote]

I have made a maths library called libmymath you can find it at libmymath.sf.net, I use it for handling maths (moving around stuff). To add you can find examples besides the libmymath packages.
You can also use GLM, or CML, or other maths library.

Well, the basic idea is to rotate, translate, scale your objects (scene) on the CPU side (with a maths library) and upload the computed matrices to your vertex shader and use it as a uniform.
In immediate mode you'd use glRotate glTranslate glScale etc.
You can find examples in the above mentioned libmymath library.

but you can also move objects using the shaders using the uniform data variables of shaders. You then only have to tranform the matrix in the shader.

it is NOT a good idea, because moving stuff around in the vertex shader would be a per-vertex operation, resulting in poor vertex processing performance.
see this post:
http://www.gamedev.n...light-position/

[quote name='jeroenb' timestamp='1305698281' post='4812269']
but you can also move objects using the shaders using the uniform data variables of shaders. You then only have to tranform the matrix in the shader.

it is NOT a good idea, because moving stuff around in the vertex shader would be a per-vertex operation, resulting in poor vertex processing performance.
see this post:
http://www.gamedev.n...light-position/
[/quote]

Well what I mean is, I am not going to put all the math into the shader, I will just pass in variables that will adjust it. I have seen something where they calculate an x and y offset then send them both as a vec2 to a shader then the shader just adds them to the vertex vec4.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement