Sign in to follow this  
PerksPlusPlus

Seeking Advice

PerksPlusPlus    122
[size=2][font="Arial"]I'm not a total noob when It comes to programming, I've done some basic tile-based projects with allegro. But I want to do something Online. The goal/Idea Is to make a MUD server, and an altered client that can support graphics drawn with allegro. I'm used to making small programs from scratch, but In this case I think it would be best to use others existing code base for the Telnet client/server, so I can focus on the important things, like the content and game engine. [/font]
[font="Arial"]
[/font][/size]
[font="Arial"]- I really don't want to take the time to learn how to program a Telnet Client because there are already 100s of them with features for adding aliases/scripts. I figure the best way to go about this is to modify an existing client, I chose Mudlet as I've used it for Muding in the past and it's Open Source. The problem I'm having is just trying to figure out how to build the program from source in the first place. It uses strange libraries lik[color="#444444"]e [/color][color=#444444]QScintilla2, "Qt on Windows", zlib, PCRE, Its just overwhelming how much stuff there is to sort through.[/color][/font]
[color=#444444][font="Arial"]
[/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font="Arial"]I guess my question is, Do you guys have any general tips when trying to incorporate other people's code into your own projects?[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font="Arial"]Also I have a hell of a hard time building libraries, I find the code easier to write/understand than setting up MSVC to work with them. Have any suggestions for reading material to help me understand the process better?[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
[font="Arial"][color="#444444"]Is there some better rout for accomplishing my goal?[/color][/font]

braincell    115
I'm not quite sure what you are asking to be honest. My feeling is you should probably spend more time integrating simpler projects, and gaining experience on simpler tasks/games/programs. This will help you figure out how to add libraries to projects and make them work. There are many help files and documentation for various languages and environments, so maybe you should run through those examples. You shouldn't try to jump too far ahead too soon, so be patient. Once you gain a bit of experience integrating simpler libraries into projects or solutions, all the things you are asking will begin to click.