• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vfx

Can i handle it

12 posts in this topic

So i am expert in 3d computer graphics including animation who wants to make games for mobile devices - iphone and android smartphones. I have no clue about programming and game development programming. My question are two - can i make a game without any previous programming expirience , i mean by looking and learning in internet (i mean looking and in the same time making - because i haven't the time first to learn programming and than to make the game) , by buying something easy (like tutorials) that will help me to make 3d rpg for smartphones. And the second question is(if the answer of the first is yes ) how much time approximately would take me to make such game alone if the graphic part is already done ? Thank you

[quote name='vfx' timestamp='1305656488' post='4812022']
So i am expert in 3d computer graphics including animation who wants to make games for mobile devices - iphone and android smartphones. I have no clue about programming and game development programming. My question are two - can i make a game without any previous programming expirience , i mean by looking and learning in internet (i mean looking and in the same time making - because i haven't the time first to learn programming and than to make the game) , by buying something easy (like tutorials) that will help me to make 3d rpg for smartphones. And the second question is(if the answer of the first is yes ) how much time approximately would take me to make such game alone if the graphic part is already done ? Thank you
[/quote]

i dont mean to "pop" your bubble. but from my own experiance it will take you a few months to learn to programe a game and learn a language at the same time unless you are a quick learner and you use something like XNA is(most of the actual device work and graphics device is done for you so you dont have to learn how to appriprietly create a device for a given system).
but it should not be too hard to do, but i may be wrong. try looking for a Iphone / Android / Smartphone Game Engine that way most of the hard labourus work is done for you.
:) :) :)

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305658340' post='4812030']
[quote name='vfx' timestamp='1305656488' post='4812022']
[/quote]

i dont mean to "pop" your bubble. but from my own experiance it will take you a few months to learn to programe a game and learn a language at the same time unless you are a quick learner and you use something like XNA is(most of the actual device work and graphics device is done for you so you dont have to learn how to appriprietly create a device for a given system).
but it should not be too hard to do, but i may be wrong. try looking for a Iphone / Android / Smartphone Game Engine that way most of the hard labourus work is done for you.
:) :) :)
[/quote]

You don't poped my bubble - you try to put me in such one :P So where should i start c++ , java and wich particular book (keep in mind i want to make games for smartphones i prefer Android devices ) ?

If you're already worried about the time it will take then you're most likely not going to succeed with your plans.
There is no quick way to get the level of experience needed to create what you want to create.

Can you make a game without any previous game programming experience? Yes.

Will you have to learn about programming on the way? Yes.

Is it a good idea to start programming by programming games? Maybe but probably not.

You can either spend a few months learning to program and learning how to program games, or use an engine/game maker utility instead. You'll still have to learn some scripting, but your learning curve will be much shorter. The choice is yours, just have fun whatever you do.

My advice would be, what do you WANT to do? Do you want to learn how to program? Or do you just want a game done with your artwork. If the latter, just use one of the many game making utilities out there (like GameMaker). If the former, have fun learning how to program and enjoy the ride.

[quote name='ChurchSkiz' timestamp='1305659489' post='4812036']
Can you make a game without any previous game programming experience? Yes.

Will you have to learn about programming on the way? Yes.

Is it a good idea to start programming by programming games? Maybe but probably not.

You can either spend a few months learning to program and learning how to program games, or use an engine/game maker utility instead. You'll still have to learn some scripting, but your learning curve will be much shorter. The choice is yours, just have fun whatever you do.

My advice would be, what do you WANT to do? Do you want to learn how to program? Or do you just want a game done with your artwork. If the latter, just use one of the many game making utilities out there (like GameMaker). If the former, have fun learning how to program and enjoy the ride.
[/quote]
i
I think i was clear in the first post but i would make it more clear - If i could skip the programming part - i would do it immediately. Do these game making utilities give me the freedom to import my own graphic assets , animations and effects and in the same time to do watever i want to do in the game. Or they are limited in any of these aspects ?

[quote name='vfx' timestamp='1305660362' post='4812046']
i
I think i was clear in the first post but i would make it more clear - If i could skip the programming part - i would do it immediately. Do these game making utilities give me the freedom to import my own graphic assets , animations and effects and in the same time to do watever i want to do in the game. Or they are limited in any of these aspects ?
[/quote]

They are only limited by the amount of time you want to spend scripting or altering engine code. Also, some engines are better designed for certain types of games then others (eg FPS games for Unity). Gamemaker, Torque, and Unity are all really solid engines. Gamemaker probably being the easiest to use without any programming knowledge. There are also some others out there, you should spend some time googling and reading tutorials to see where you fit in.

Without doing ANY scripting, your limited to building games off templates and just changing the art.

Just out of curiosity. If you are a expert 3D modeller/animator, why not stick to where your expertise lies?

Your post reads a bit like this: You have zero programming experience and are in a rush to read though a book or a couple of tutorials off the internet to enable you to create a game. Graphics programming is hard, and is both seriously CS and Math intensive. You need to have a steady hand doing both before you can hope to create anything decent(and it sounds like you have big plans about 3d rpgs and god knows what).. And I'm not even going to mention the physic aspect.

Any ways, others have already pointed out this is a massive massive undertaking to master.

Here's my tip for you though. You kick bum in 3D studio (or whatever app), here's a dirty little secret. Most programmers dont.

Team up with people who has similar goals.

[quote name='justdanyul' timestamp='1305674517' post='4812153']
Just out of curiosity. If you are a expert 3D modeller/animator, why not stick to where your expertise lies?
[/quote]

What's wrong with looking to expand your skill set?

@OP
It will take you a long time. Years, before you're good enough to make something commercial. If you're willing to accept this, you should look at a smartphone-capable engine (Unity3D or Torque Game Builder would be your best bets). Torque is cheap, but AFAIK you have to pay up-front before you can use a full version and it's not Android compatible. Unity is free so you could learn it first before paying any money, but it's more expensive once you buy the Pro version + iPhone + Android licenses.

Don't rush it: you will not be making Infinity Blade in three months, no matter what you do. Just take your time, learn, and enjoy!

[quote name='JBourrie' timestamp='1305676943' post='4812170']
[quote name='justdanyul' timestamp='1305674517' post='4812153']
[/quote]

What's wrong with looking to expand your skill set?

[/quote]

Nothing at all. OP just seems to be in a [b]rush [/b]to create what sounds to me like a rather complex game. And it sounds like he already have the skills to be able to be part of a team effort. Rather than spending X amount of years expanding his skill-set to a level that will enable him to build a 3D RPG game all by him self.

i found [url="http://www.bukisa.com/articles/223910_creating-a-game-on-google-android-game-with-flixel-getting-started"]this[/url] on makeing a game for android.
but i dont know why it took so long to find it.

I don't do this to compete with anyone in skills level or something else. I have great artistic vision in computer graphics and visual effects. The easiest way to express this vision is by making game for smartphones. I don't have the time and resources to make pc game or full lenght cgi film - this cost 100s of millions. So the perfect way for me and my skills as you see is this-making game for mobile devices . If i make this game it will be spectacular - i am not looking for making something cheap to make profit of it like "angry birds" f - the game is simple , fun but profit oriented. I am looking for the "boom" of visual side.

Look, when you want to handle the programming part, you got 2 options:

1- Learn to program
2- Get a program (make a team)

The second option is recommended. Not because it's the easiest, but because if you actually learned how to program you will notice that the amount of effort needed to do the full art for a game is almost the same effort needed to program a game. It would be better to get someone to take care of the programming part while you handle the art side. And no, just because you finished the art side doesn't mean you're done. The program side will demand more work from you to make your art 'fit' into the game properly.

I wouldn't go with the first option. It's not because learning to program is hard. Actually, it’s really easy; you can pick it up in a week or 2. The problem is that you will need a long time (with practice and actually trying to make games) before you're good enough to program a game.

Just like your art skills. I'm sure that you warped your head around graphics very quickly, but how long and how much effort did it take before you were GOOD ENOUGH to make the art you made now?

Even if you are using game makers or engines, it won't change anything. It will still take you a long time before you get really good to make games with them.

At the end it's your call. You sounded like you wanted to start as soon as possible so I would recommend finding a programming partner who is willing to help and take care of the programming side (plus all the tech stuff).

As for how long it would take, I can't really answer that. If you already got the art and design down, a programmer can get you a working beta version in less than a month. But it could take longer.

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='Farraj' timestamp='1305733088' post='4812557']
As for how long it would take, I can't really answer that. If you already got the art and design down, a programmer can get you a working beta version in less than a month. But it could take longer.
[/quote]

I'm quoting this, not to argue with you, but because I think it might give him the wrong impression.

"How long it will take" is relative to the [i]scope[/i] of your game. Obviously, Farraj has a very small-scoped game in mind when he says "less than a month". If you mean "basic 3D RPG with 80's-style mechanics" you might get something this quickly (with a good, focused, motivated programmer). If you're talking a Fable or a Final Fantasy or an Oblivion, you're talking months, if not years, before it's actually to any level of quality if you're doing it alone or with a tiny 2-man team. Most commercial games are built by teams of 5-50 people, with RPGs tending to surpass 100-man team sizes.

I'm not saying "it's impossible", I'm saying "planning will make the difference between success and utter failure". Know what you're getting into: if you want to build an RPG of any level of quality, you really can't rush it.