I think all programmers should know machine code...

Started by
74 comments, last by jbadams 12 years, 11 months ago

Not exactly a "lack of control", but more hassle with control. HLLs like C++ and Java COULD MAYBE get as low to the point of controlling bits, nibbles and bytes, storing and such, but it's going to not be done in the same manner as Assembly.
You're right, it won't be the same. It will be easier, faster, and much more understandable when written in C++. I manipulate bits and bytes and low-level hardware devices every day in C++ --- if I had to do the same in assembly, we'd never have enough time to ship a game!

Post an example of asm and C++ bit manipulation to show that the asm version is simpler plox.
Advertisement

I can make any job complete as long as I have an OS and machine code. I can directly access hardware myself, I don't need "third-party" crap except what I already came with in my licensed-end user agreement with my computer.

I don't need any damned "tools"... Do you people understand that? Tools are not for me!

:D okay then tell me how long you need to finish your projects?

[quote name='Graphics Engineer']
It will be easier, faster, and much more understandable when written in C++.
[/quote]

Maybe easier and more understandable but not (always) faster.

I remember a section in a book about Assembler I bought a few months ago. The author demonstrated the rendering and physical calculations of 2 obsticales in OpenGL. He wrote the same application in c++ and assembler.

And now guess which one was faster. (And also more unreadable ;) )

Visit my blog, follow me on twitter or check out my bitbucket repositories.

I'm not angry -- I'm trying to emphasise how fucking awesome that bridge is! It's ridiculously fucking cool!

Seriously, how many bridges have you built? And by that I mean how many games have you finished?[/quote]

You are angry. Stop kidding yourself...

I have made several games in high-level languages and hated it. That's why I'm moving lower. :D

Using either C++ or assembly has no impact on the amount of memory your game ends up using. Every PS3 game has to fit into 256MB of RAM, and I assure you that they're generally written in C or C++, but never in 100% assembly.[/quote]

Whoever or wherever you got that information from is totally false. Final Fantasy 13 for PS3 requires 2GB of RAM, not 256MB. You really have no knowledge, and there's sources that back up my claims.

If I posted the equivalent code in C++, it would take 10 seconds for you to know exactly what it does. Q.E.D. 0's and 1's are 1440 times less readable than C++ (4hrs*60mins*40secs / 10secs). Look it up.[/quote]

Performance > readability. What you can read easier is great for understanding, but what rolls is what is the result of this "readability", not how well it was "read".

Is this some kind of book we need to read here? :)

This is what we're all thinking! You're spouting nonsense and ignoring reason. Why should anyone bother to listen, unless they enjoy feeding trolls?
[/quote]

You really have no evidence to prove a single thing you say to be valid, yet countless sources can back up what I say. Working in Assembly DOES and WILL grant better access that C++ or ANY other higher language or API and WILL have access to make faster programs. It is a known fact, just not to people who are misinformed of technology like you.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]You're right, it won't be the same. It will be easier, faster, and much more understandable when written in C++. I manipulate bits and bytes and low-level hardware devices every day in C++ --- if I had to do the same in assembly, we'd never have enough time to ship a game!

Post an example of asm and C++ bit manipulation to show that the asm version is simpler plox.[/quote]

You seem to be convinced that high-level can act as low-level, but in reality that's not possible. Are you knowledgeable in anything other than high level languages? Please do tell...

Anyways, however well that high-level languages can do what low-level ones can, the truth is that it's just not 100% possible. C++ is not that bad, but Assembly has more power than C++ does being that Assembly is right above the lowest hardware of them all: processor.

Where is C++, again? Oh, right!

>> C++ <<

^^^^ All the way up there! ^^^^

How's the view? Need a longer stick? :P

Using either C++ or assembly has no impact on the amount of memory your game ends up using. Every PS3 game has to fit into 256MB of RAM, and I assure you that they're generally written in C or C++, but never in 100% assembly.

Whoever or wherever you got that information from is totally false. Final Fantasy 13 for PS3 requires 2GB of RAM, not 256MB. You really have no knowledge, and there's sources that back up my claims.
[/quote]

According to Wikipedia the Playstation 3 does only have 256MB of system memory and 256MB of video memory. Unless you have a more reliable system information about the PS3 (in this case, a proper reference would be required) with different information we just have another sample of "I like to talk but I have no clue what I talk about". Of course that should not exactly be a surprise to anyone.
I have made several games in high-level languages and hated it.
Links or it didn't happen.
Whoever or wherever you got that information from is totally false. Final Fantasy 13 for PS3 requires 2GB of RAM, not 256MB. You really have no knowledge, and there's sources that back up my claims. [/quote]I got my information from the PS3 SDK sitting in front of me that says that the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM in it's main bank. It's physically impossible for a PS3 game to use 2GB of RAM when the machine doesn't have that much!!
You really have no evidence to prove a single thing you say to be valid, yet countless sources can back up what I say.[/quote]Crack out the sources then! Show us that your hand-written x86 code is reliably faster than MSVC's compiler! Show us that it's good practice to write ASM. Show us that code readability has no value. Show us that playstations have 2GB of ram in them.
We're all waiting for you to prove your nonsense claims.
You are angry. Stop kidding yourself[/quote]I'm too busy laughing at an arrogant emo kid to be angry right now, sorry.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
[color="#1C2837"]Post an example of asm and C++ bit manipulation to show that the asm version is simpler plox.
You seem to be convinced that high-level can act as low-level, but in reality that's not possible.[/quote]Seeing I do bit manipulation and talk to hardware devices from C++ it seems pretty low-level. I could be wrong though... Ever heard of an intrinsic function? No?
Also, you didn't post an example to prove your nonsense claim...[/font]

You are angry. Stop kidding yourself...

You are clearly trolling. This is a forum for logical discussion. Nobody should be angry and you shouldn't be trying to provoke people, which you are.

Final Fantasy 13 for PS3 requires 2GB of RAM, not 256MB. You really have no knowledge, and there's sources that back up my claims.

Look who's talking. You haven't backed up one claim this entire time. FYI, the PS3 doesn't have 2GB of ram. It has 256MB, like he said. You can look it up for yourself.

You either made a mistake about the PS3s memory configuration, or you don't even comprehend the difference between RAM and the storage of asset files like models and textures.

Performance > readability.

No it's not. If you knew anything about programming, you'd at least know that. Nobody on this site is ever going to work for the same company as you because they aren't going to want to fix your horrible, unreadable code.That assumes that there is some crazy hiring manager out there that would let somebody with your claims even make it to a first interview.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]:D okay then tell me how long you need to finish your projects?[/quote]

I made a snake game in Assembly in about two weeks. I used no third-party APIs, no high-level control, nothing. I'm very proud of the game. :D

All I needed was Assembly and Windows OS for some slightly "higher" graphics control.

Now, let's compare it to a C++ snake game ...

1.C++ snake game probably has a higher tendency of getting stuck, having a bug due to complicating high-level codes/functions, eating up more RAM and putting your CPU through torture.

2.C++ snake game needed endless additional files for additional support for keyboard input, timing, an input output stream(crappy one), etc.

3.C++ snake game probably doesn't perform in the exact, 100% way you'd expect it to and although the code is more readable it isn't more efficient.

Now, let's change it to Assembly's snake game ...

1.Assembly's snake game has almost no possibility of getting stuck due to low-level access of hardware, controls and operating at a bit-level way better than you would in C++ or other high-level languages.

2.Assembly's snake game doesn't need thousands of DLL files, .lib files, .h files, .win files, etc. All of that can be optimized directly and requires less storage of shit! Plus, files can be written all into one source and controlled through one executable output rather than having tons of damned files roaming all over endless directories!

3.Assembly's snake game is not only going to be faster, will have less likelihood of acting up of failing to catch input, but will perform more smooth, efficient and will require less complication and waste of space and will have EVERYTHING put to use rather than tons of crappy files that just "sit there in case I need them".

Assembly > high-level.

I made a snake game in Assembly in about two weeks. I used no third-party APIs, no high-level control, nothing. I'm very proud of the game. [/quote]
Links or it didn't happen.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
I'm stopping replying to this thread NOW. Too much aggression.

Visit my blog, follow me on twitter or check out my bitbucket repositories.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement