I think all programmers should know machine code...

Started by
74 comments, last by jbadams 12 years, 11 months ago

[quote name='AndyWonHarglesis' timestamp='1305713454' post='4812428']
[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1305713354' post='4812427']Epic threads are epic.
Here's a clear shot of the desktop when the OS was loading just a few minutes ago: http://imageshack.us...nkattackii.gif/

If you want any more proof, specs, etc. about XENIO 12 BEST, I can give it. :D[/quote]No worries. That's actually the OS we use at work to make PlayStation 5 games. All the pros use it. You'll fit right in.
[/quote]

:D MADE MY DAY!!

Visit my blog, follow me on twitter or check out my bitbucket repositories.

Advertisement

[quote name='AndyWonHarglesis' timestamp='1305713901' post='4812437']
I didn't manipulate anything... :(

You should of just told us you program for OS/2 WARP! That would have been somewhat more impressive than your Jersey Shore OS.
[/quote]

[attachment=2353:os24_1stscreen.jpg]

OH TEH NOS! :o
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

You have already posted so much verifiably wrong information in this thread (like that horrible PS3 brainfart) that in accordance with Occam's razor the story that you have absolutely no clue seems to be the far more likely explanation.

No, no, no. I'm sure he has a perfectly good and completely unverifiable explanation for everything!
Yeah, but now I have finally reached my threshold.

Oh. No. Wait. I read about the Xenio thingummi computer and its assembler. Wasn't that the one which had an "rsn" opcode (= run snakes)? Of course it's easy to write assembler when the processor you are working on has the desired functionality burned it.

Note: one of the above paragraphs contains sarcasm. It is left as an exercise to the reader to find out which one it is.
Oh noes!!1
This thread goes too fast. I'm spending my TOTAL work time reading this. I'll be fired and doomed.

Yeah, but now I have finally reached my threshold.

Oh. No. Wait. I read about the Xenio thingummi computer and its assembler. Wasn't that the one which had an "rsn" opcode (= run snakes)? Of course it's easy to write assembler when the processor you are working on has the desired functionality burned it.

Note: one of the above paragraphs contains sarcasm. It is left as an exercise to the reader to find out which one it is.

It's coming back to me now. Ah yes, Xenio, rsn. Not much of an accomplishment, really. Not worth bragging about, certainly!
I won't give a decisive opinion on the subject of this thread because I'm not knowledeable enough, but I would like to dicuss the issue sensibly without all this flaming, and without it being spread over two threads. Why are people flaming this kid in what is a semi-professional environment? Why not just express disagreement and rate his posts down? Surely that would be enough to ensure people take his posts with a (large) pinch of salt?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, the general subject is about comparing assembly to high level languages and APIs which, like almost any subject, I think is a reasonable subject to discuss. My attempt to contribute to the discussion follows.

I've been trying to find a list of great games written in assembly but I cannot. As far as I know the last great game written in assembly was Frontier Elite by David Braben. The GDC Vault isn't loading for me at the moment, so I can't link the video, but I very much enjoyed Braben's Classic Game Postmortem on Elite at GDC. It struck me how immensly intelligent he is. But I think the AFAIK up till now unparalled achievements of that game are more due to his genius and use of procedural generation than due to his use of assembly. This is reenforced by recent attempts to expand on the concept of the game in 3D graphics meeting today's standards, using higher level tools, which have been succesful in principle but not yet fully realised due to the enormity of the work undertaken, assembly doesn't even come into the reasons. It is probably true that the Elite series would have been impossible had it not been written in assembly, but its also probably true that's only because of having to squeeze the required performance out of very limited machines.

Also to the OP, you should bear in mind that DirectX provides a necessary layer so that the programmers code is compatible with a wide range of graphics cards. AFAIK in assembly one would have to code different code for each graphics card... I don't know if something analogous is true for CPUs and RAM but I wouldn't be surprised. Given the effectively infinite variety of system configs apparent in todays PC market I suspect that renders PC game development in assembly effectively impossible, though probably still possible and perhaps even desirable in the hardware limited single configuration console market.

[EDIT] Question: Are all PS3 games written in assembly? Been trying to research that but having no luck.
I wouldn't call any of these comments flaming. This is and has always been a thread created for the sole purpose of trolling. It's nonsensical and should not be taken seriously, anywhere.

This thread went out of of scope a long time ago. We should just let it destruct already.
Does anyone live in Jersey here? I'd like to get a copy of this XENIO 12 BEST, because the current OS I'm using is holding back my multi-core rig.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

I wouldn't call any of these comments flaming. This is and has always been a thread created for the sole purpose of trolling. It's nonsensical and should not be taken seriously, anywhere.

This thread went out of of scope a long time ago. We should just let it destruct already.

Good catch on the fake screenshot btw :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement