programming books

Started by
3 comments, last by turlisk 12 years, 11 months ago
This may not be the right place for this, however i'm looking to develop a voxel engine for XNA, i've seen techcraft and looking really for the experience of programming it myself not looking at someone's work going ahhhhh that's pretty....

anyone know if there are any books that will help me understand the concepts and programming behind the voxel engines out there?\

thanks.
Advertisement

This may not be the right place for this, however i'm looking to develop a voxel engine for XNA, i've seen techcraft and looking really for the experience of programming it myself not looking at someone's work going ahhhhh that's pretty....

anyone know if there are any books that will help me understand the concepts and programming behind the voxel engines out there?\

thanks.

Finally someone else looking for something simular!
I am also trying to develop a custom Textured Voxel engine and have looked all over.
I have looked for books, tutorials, and videos and have come up short.

The only mention of Voxels in a book I have seen is a chapter in "The Black art of 3d game programming", which is way outdated and only speaks of Ray traced Voxels.

Do you mean Minecraft instead of techCraft?

Also, Are you looking to do just a standard Voxel engine or a Textured Voxel engine or a Ray Voxel engine? because each are totally different form the others.

Standard Voxels:

efx_voxel_teapot.jpg
Textured Voxels:
ss-minecraft-landscape.jpg
Ray Traced Voxels:
voxel_comanche_sm.jpg

Again each of these have a totally different Goal, Look, and most importantly technique for rendering.
If this post was helpful please +1 or like it !

Webstrand

[quote name='turlisk' timestamp='1305858166' post='4813288']

thanks.

Finally someone else looking for something simular!
I am also trying to develop a custom Textured Voxel engine and have looked all over.
I have looked for books, tutorials, and videos and have come up short.

The only mention of Voxels in a book I have seen is a chapter in "The Black art of 3d game programming", which is way outdated and only speaks of Ray traced Voxels.

Do you mean Minecraft instead of techCraft?

Also, Are you looking to do just a standard Voxel engine or a Textured Voxel engine or a Ray Voxel engine? because each are totally different form the others.

Standard Voxels:

efx_voxel_teapot.jpg
Textured Voxels:
ss-minecraft-landscape.jpg
Ray Traced Voxels:
voxel_comanche_sm.jpg

Again each of these have a totally different Goal, Look, and most importantly technique for rendering.
[/quote]

I'll be looking into minecraft style of Textured Voxels, there is an open source group called techcraft that has made one for XNA

I'll be looking into minecraft style of Textured Voxels, there is an open source group called techcraft that has made one for XNA

Since I am trying to achieve the same goal, but in [color="#FF8C00"]OpenGL, can you post a link to [color="#4169E1"]techCraft ?
All I get on [color="#00FF00"]Google is stereo equipment.
If this post was helpful please +1 or like it !

Webstrand
http://techcraft.codeplex.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement