Overwhelmed good place to start?

Started by
3 comments, last by IrishValMC 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi guys, I know there must be a lot of people out there trying to get into game dev etc. I know I have been interested for quite a while but everytime I try to get into it seriously I get so overwhelmed at the learning curve and without a structure I'm not going to get anywhere. My skills so far? Eh, I'm an idea's man. Joke. Well in a way yes that's all I am I have numerous drawings, a storyline, drawn character designs with detail, storyline, drawn map design. I say drawn before each of them as not only do I have to learn programming, I have to learn modelling etc. I'm not sure if it matter's what type of game it is going to be but it is going to be a DotA/MOBA/AoS (if you aren't familiar here is a few links for youtube videos: League of Legends, DotA, RoI, HoN). Thanks in advance for any responses I just need to get a little kick in the right direction :lol:
Advertisement

1. Overwhelmed good place to start?
2. everytime I try to get into [game development] seriously I get so overwhelmed at the learning curve and without a structure I'm not going to get anywhere.
3. My skills so far? Eh, I'm an idea's man. Joke. Well in a way yes that's all I am

1. No, overwhelmed is not a good place to start. But lots of people start there.
2. One way to get beyond overwhelmed is to read. But what you should read depends on where you want to go. From what you've written, it's unclear if you want to go into development as a profession (i.e. "job") or as a hobby or what. Care to tell? Also, how old are you and what level of education have you completed (are you a high school kid or are you a working adult, college educated? etc.)
3. That's a problem, but I assume you already know that. Read FAQ 1: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='IrishValMC' timestamp='1305858322' post='4813290']
1. Overwhelmed good place to start?
2. everytime I try to get into [game development] seriously I get so overwhelmed at the learning curve and without a structure I'm not going to get anywhere.
3. My skills so far? Eh, I'm an idea's man. Joke. Well in a way yes that's all I am

1. No, overwhelmed is not a good place to start. But lots of people start there.
2. One way to get beyond overwhelmed is to read. But what you should read depends on where you want to go. From what you've written, it's unclear if you want to go into development as a profession (i.e. "job") or as a hobby or what. Care to tell? Also, how old are you and what level of education have you completed (are you a high school kid or are you a working adult, college educated? etc.)
3. That's a problem, but I assume you already know that. Read FAQ 1: http://www.sloperama...advice/idea.htm
[/quote]

Well my highest level of education is a FETAC level 7. Level 6 is the leaving certificate in secondary school, so i presume equivalent to someone finishing high school and lvl 8 is first year of a degree in college/ equivalent. I'm 19 years old, unemployed. So in my mind it is the best time to read up/ practice get involved on a forum like this while I am waiting on another course or a job.Also I do want to go into game development in future but I feel that with the education I am looking for it will be more in the business/ project management side of things. So as for know we could call it an interest as a full time hobby? lol

Edit: I read the article you linked and found it very interesting and also it kind of had me questioning why I want to do this and if I have the commitment to get it done. The answer was yes I can. The main title was a shock as I'm not doing this thinking I will get any money from it. I'll probably end up with exhausted, look like crap and have a half broken game to show for it but more than the game I'll have more knowledge on the work involved and common mistakes made etc.

Well my highest level of education is ... equivalent to ... finishing high school...
I do want to go into game development in future
it will be more in the business/ project management side of things.

OK, since you are aiming towards a job/career in games, this thread is now moved to the Breaking In forum. You should read this forum's FAQs.
You need to learn more about your chosen career and the sort of education you should go for.
You need to choose an entry path (what job you'll apply for to get into the industry in order to work yourself up to project management, i.e. Producing).
So far, that's what this thread seems to be working on -- breaking in, for purposes of getting a job eventually. If you have questions about starting programming, or starting game graphics or starting to design games, then you should ask those questions in the appropriate forum:
For Beginners -- for beginner programming questions
Game Design -- for questions about how to design games
Visual Arts -- for questions about creating graphics
Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='IrishValMC' timestamp='1305863330' post='4813314']
Well my highest level of education is ... equivalent to ... finishing high school...
I do want to go into game development in future
it will be more in the business/ project management side of things.

OK, since you are aiming towards a job/career in games, this thread is now moved to the Breaking In forum. You should read this forum's FAQs.
You need to learn more about your chosen career and the sort of education you should go for.
You need to choose an entry path (what job you'll apply for to get into the industry in order to work yourself up to project management, i.e. Producing).
So far, that's what this thread seems to be working on -- breaking in, for purposes of getting a job eventually. If you have questions about starting programming, or starting game graphics or starting to design games, then you should ask those questions in the appropriate forum:
For Beginners -- for beginner programming questions
Game Design -- for questions about how to design games
Visual Arts -- for questions about creating graphics
Good luck!
[/quote]
Thanks for the guidance I will start reading through as much as I can.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement