Sign in to follow this  
??????????

??????????    100
Hello everyone,

I'm just another person interested in developing games and am seeking some advice. I've learned some C++ and can implement the basics (data types, arrays, boolean logic, etc.) and am trying to get better with other topics like references and pointers, class design, and other data structures (i.e. linked lists, trees...), as well as other things that I haven't mentioned...I know there is a long way to go.

That said, I'm primarily interested in the following aspects of the game development: 1. Graphics (I really have grown to appreciate the visual style of some games, and would like to pursue some of my own); 2. gameplay mechanics(?) -for instance, I am interested in what makes games of different genre's work (I hope that makes sense, as I'm not very sure how to explain it T_T)

So, while I'm currently learning some C++ (from what I have observed is the industry standard), I was thinking of eventually looking into shader development. My first question is, when developers use graphics software such as 3ds Max or Softimage, can they create their own custom shaders to achieve a desired visual effect? And are shaders developed with GLSL/Cg/Direct3D?

My second question is, are there limits to what kinds of games people can make using pre-existing engines such as Unity or Unreal?

I apologize if I'm getting ahead of myself, I'm just lost as to where I should start, because many people seem to agree that the best way to get into game development is to start small, and build your way up. Assuming I manage to progress in my studies of C++, where would I go from there?

Much thanks for your time, and I apologize for my noobishness : )

JimmyDeemo    156
[quote name='NSH6' timestamp='1305879135' post='4813382']
So, while I'm currently learning some C++ (from what I have observed is the industry standard), I was thinking of eventually looking into shader development. My first question is, when developers use graphics software such as 3ds Max or Softimage, can they create their own custom shaders to achieve a desired visual effect? And are shaders developed with GLSL/Cg/Direct3D?
[/quote]

Firstly i think there is a little confusion here as to what shaders are and how they are used. I believe in general that shaders aren't something done by artists who use modelling software to produce models. They are essentially mathematical computations that get applied at different points in the rendering stage to give certain effects. [url="http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/Basics/Intro%20Graphics%20and%20Rendering.html"]Check out this page[/url] for a brief description of rendering basics, it finishes up by talking about shaders.

My second question is, are there limits to what kinds of games people can make using pre-existing engines such as Unity or Unreal?
[/quote]

This has a couple of meanings too. What do you mean by 'limits'? In general there are no limits to the game play aspects that people think up, just different ways of implementing them. If you are talking about limits in terms of pushing graphical processing and effects then you are limited by the engine you use. Unreal engine its probably one of those that are at the fore front of pushing what's possible, just look at some videos of the latest version.

I apologize if I'm getting ahead of myself, I'm just lost as to where I should start, because many people seem to agree that the best way to get into game development is to start small, and build your way up. Assuming I manage to progress in my studies of C++, where would I go from there?
[/quote]

You seems to have the right attitude towards where you want to be. Remember that if you want to be a Game Programmer using C++ then you first need to be a regular programmer using C++. Having a greater understanding of the ins and outs of your chosen language is a great benefit, and doesn't mean that you can't put a game twist on things. The point is not to overwhelm yourself, because when i do that i get disinterested.