• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

detecting the coordinates where a bullet hits a mesh

This topic is 2558 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a lot of complex objects in a scene and im looking for an efficient way to find which object a fired bullet hits and to find the hit coordinates.
It would be best if there was a lightweight library to do this.
it seems that PhysX can do this, but i didnt find a way except to give every face in every mesh a physX system and that seems to become a bottleneck.
thanks in advance.

Advertisement
This might be better suited to the physics section, its not an OpenGL question. I haven't done anything like this, nor have I used Physx, but I do know that most games with complex rendered geometry use another set of simpler geometry to calculate collisions. You give these to PhysX and get a collision result from them, then you can project your bullet hit decal on to the renderable geometry using this result.
Like I say though you are best asking in either a PhysX forum or the Physics section of this forum.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!