Super noob question from a super noob.

Started by
10 comments, last by efstratios 12 years, 11 months ago
You guys probably get this a lot, but I can't really find a clear answers (or maybe there isn't one)..
Which is the best language to start for game development? (C++, C#, Python etc)

How are the graphics made? Do you just use programs like Photoshop, Blender, Maya, 3dsmax etc? And how do I put the code and the graphics together to run as one game?

Like I want to do the programming like: If A hits B with serpent sting = 25 damage + 2 every second - %12 of armour value.
Stuff like that...I'm a REAL noob. I'm 15, and I'm learning VB.Net at school...I was wondering if I also need maths? I'm currently in an advanced math class, which doesn't make sense because I'm not that great at Maths. I JUST pass the advanced class. But I'm REALLY good at English, I have creative skills. But I can't draw :o Do I have to be able to draw to create graphics? I'm good at animating, so maybe I can just animate instead of drawing?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm a COMPLETE NEWB. I really want to learn though.
-Thanks guys!
Advertisement
The general consensus on the forum is that C#, Python, or Java (actually that one is my personal favorite) are the best languages to begin programming with. They are substantially easier to grasp than C++ and automate certain parts of programming that more broad languages, such as C/C++, have by default (C# is capable of manual memory management but I believe it requires the programmer to mark the code as unsafe).

The graphics are made depending on what mode the game is running in. If you're doing 2D then Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net, etc are the programs you want to use. If the goal are 3D models then Blender, Maya, or 3ds Max are your tools.

For programming, you definitely need some basic Algebra and Geometry to be able to implement physics in your game (if you're making point and click games then arithmetics will do :D).

In the end, remember that learning a language is a very minimal step of the path to learning how to program. Even when you finally know a language and begin to make your first game, you'll realize that programming and knowing a language are two completely different things. You just have to think about what you're doing :D

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

You guys probably get this a lot, but I can't really find a clear answers (or maybe there isn't one)..
Which is the best language to start for game development? (C++, C#, Python etc)
I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm a COMPLETE NEWB. I really want to learn though.
-Thanks guys!

Have you read this forum's FAQs yet? There's a link atop this forum...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I personally found C++ easier to work with than C#. At the end of the day, programming is programming, just get to work. ;)

The general consensus on the forum is that C#, Python, or Java (actually that one is my personal favorite) are the best languages to begin programming with. They are substantially easier to grasp than C++ and automate certain parts of programming that more broad languages, such as C/C++, have by default (C# is capable of manual memory management but I believe it requires the programmer to mark the code as unsafe).

The graphics are made depending on what mode the game is running in. If you're doing 2D then Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net, etc are the programs you want to use. If the goal are 3D models then Blender, Maya, or 3ds Max are your tools.

For programming, you definitely need some basic Algebra and Geometry to be able to implement physics in your game (if you're making point and click games then arithmetics will do :D).

In the end, remember that learning a language is a very minimal step of the path to learning how to program. Even when you finally know a language and begin to make your first game, you'll realize that programming and knowing a language are two completely different things. You just have to think about what you're doing :D

Thanks for the help! :D
I'm looking at 3d modelling, and I know the basics of Math, atm I'm studying Factorizing Quadratic Trinomials and factorising in general..I passed the basic test and just failed the advanced test. And now we're moving onto Geometry and then Calculus, which I should do okay in. But I am pretty good in Physics ^_^ Algebra is very easy to me. I have Blender, which is thankfully free and should do for now. And I'm downloading Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express. Is that okay?

Have you read this forum's FAQs yet? There's a link atop this forum...

I thought I read every article and FAQ on this site, since I've been a bit of a lurker around here and just registered. But I guess I didn't, my bad mate.

I personally found C++ easier to work with than C#. At the end of the day, programming is programming, just get to work. ;)

I do visual basic at school. (btw what's the difference between VB and VB.NET?) and it's pretty easy. But I've looked at C++ tutorials and it looks SO COMPLICATED! Maybe it's just me, but I'm freaking out! Haha, I guess I gotta start from the bottom 8-)

Thanks for all the posts guys!

I do visual basic at school. (btw what's the difference between VB and VB.NET?) and it's pretty easy. But I've looked at C++ tutorials and it looks SO COMPLICATED! Maybe it's just me, but I'm freaking out! Haha, I guess I gotta start from the bottom 8-)

I've only been programming on and off in C# and C++ for about a year, but I started out with C++ and found it tricky, but eventually I got into it and began to understand it a lot better. I took a break to try out C# and found that it was quite similar to C++ syntax-wise, and that really helped me there.

All I'm saying is that doesn't everything look complicated until you've learnt it?

I've just revised the language after a taking a break from programming to do some school stuff. I have been using this site as a reference whenever I come up to something I've forgotten.
Ignore my name, I WAS MISTAKEN.

[quote name='anarchist4freedom' timestamp='1306060359' post='4814189']

I've only been programming on and off in C# and C++ for about a year, but I started out with C++ and found it tricky, but eventually I got into it and began to understand it a lot better. I took a break to try out C# and found that it was quite similar to C++ syntax-wise, and that really helped me there.

All I'm saying is that doesn't everything look complicated until you've learnt it?

I've just revised the language after a taking a break from programming to do some school stuff. I have been using this site as a reference whenever I come up to something I've forgotten.
[/quote]

C# and C++ look like a nice combo, and even learning Java since I've heard it's similar. And yes, until you've learn the language everything looks confusing, but when I was learning VB it looked pretty simple, and then I looked at C++ and the code looked completely difference to what I've been learning.

Also I downloaded Python, but I don't get how to "use it". Is there any point in downloading Python 3.2 because I can't find a compiler :S
One of these days I am going to have to sit down and program a bot to search for threads like this and insert a generic answer. I mean, dude, use the search - you said it yourself, we probably get this a million times, so why not see just how many hits you can get hmm? Not trying to be a stuck up douche, but c'mon, really...
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

One of these days I am going to have to sit down and program a bot to search for threads like this and insert a generic answer. I mean, dude, use the search - you said it yourself, we probably get this a million times, so why not see just how many hits you can get hmm? Not trying to be a stuck up douche, but c'mon, really...

The original poster is 15. He can ask any question he likes. It's up to the reader if they can be bothered to write for 30 seconds.

To the original poster take a look at the App Hubs shooter project. It walks you through creating a side scrolling shooter in C# and XNA. The concepts are there, but you will find it difficult to apply them to another project until you know how to write code.

I am learning C# and XNA from the ground up. I think it really takes a good beginners book and a lot of patience and re-reading before you'll have any skills to be able to write code.

You could download Visual Studio C# 2010 Express Edition and work through all the MSDN tutorials.

This would be a good start.

[quote name='MangoFreak' timestamp='1306061209' post='4814192']
[quote name='anarchist4freedom' timestamp='1306060359' post='4814189']

[/quote]

C# and C++ look like a nice combo, and even learning Java since I've heard it's similar. And yes, until you've learn the language everything looks confusing, but when I was learning VB it looked pretty simple, and then I looked at C++ and the code looked completely difference to what I've been learning.

Also I downloaded Python, but I don't get how to "use it". Is there any point in downloading Python 3.2 because I can't find a compiler :S
[/quote]

That is because there is no compiler for Python at all.

In the programming world there are 2 global types of programming:
- Pre-compiled -> Compile source code into a executable and then run it
- Compiled at start -> Run a program that executes the source code

C++, C# and VB.Net are both pre-compiling languages but Python code is compiled at runtime.

Python can be used in two different ways:
- From a file
- From the command line

The easiest is from the command line, you literally type the source into the command line and it is executed as you enter the code. This is very usefull for experiments. You can use it by simply starting the Python executable in the folder where you installed python.

Executing by source is only a bit trickier.
Open the command prompt and enter (without quotes): "cd Path/Where/you/installed/python/"
Then enter (again without quotes): "python Path/where/your/source-file/is/located/
Your file is now quickly compiled and then run.

I recommend that for now, you stick with VB.NET as it can do almost the same C++ can, VB.NET does a lot of things for you like cleaning up your mess (if you create it, that is).

O, BTW, one extra advice: Make sure you really understand programming concepts before trying to make a game. If you don't you WILL stumble upon problems that look impossible to solve, but actually are quite simple.

I hope this helps,

assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement