Question about GPU gems books

Started by
1 comment, last by NEXUSKill 12 years, 11 months ago
I've been looking for graphics programming books that are a bit more advanced than simple tutorials I'd find online, and saw that the GPU gems series was online for free, however I have a few questions before I jump in.

is the first/second book outdated, or still worth the read?

Who are these books aimed at, exactly? I'm a CS student, but I haven't taken any graphics courses yet, I know some basics of graphics programming/shader programming.

Would you recommend the shaderX(now GPU pro?) books over GPU gems?

Thanks.
Advertisement
is the first/second book outdated, or still worth the read?[/quote]

Nope, and it is def worth the read. As to how worth it, that will depend on what your needs are, and what you are working on. Treat the books more like shader tutorials. Say, you want to get started on deferred shading, the book could come handy in getting you familiar with the technique. Same applies with anything else.

Just have a read through the online version of GPU gems and you will see whether they are suitable for you or not.

P.S. General remark here, it doesn't matter if a book is old. Some books still have interesting and useful concepts that can be adopted for modern platforms. Hell, I still use Graphics Gems for a number of projects today.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
If you are relatively new to graphics programming I would seriously recommend you to read Real-Time Rendering (third edition), its not a book about programming, its about how 3D graphics work, most programming oriented books will assume you already know most of that stuff and teach you ways of implementing it, but if you don't know most of it they will feel quite confusing
Game making is godlike

LinkedIn profile: http://ar.linkedin.com/pub/andres-ricardo-chamarra/2a/28a/272

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement