help me to finde the track in opengl game industry

Started by
8 comments, last by Danny02 12 years, 10 months ago
hello every one

i am new in this scop, the scop of game development i want to learn it and start comercial projects but i am confused, i can't find the truck myself so please help me to find the start point.

i am an average c++ programer, i use vc++ 6 and i want to keep using it for learnning and for building my comercial project with opengl.
i want to start programing for windows xp and maybe also windows 7

what i need to know is the libraries and header files i should update to start (dll, lib, h and any other libraries i will need) and it will be better if you tell me also about the old libraries and about the programs and libraries that are not reliable to build big and safe projects to avoid it.

also any other information i should know but i didn't asked you about, will be a big help from you even small informations.

thank you very much in advence
Advertisement
i will be stoned for this, but dont use visualc. Its a huge unusable mamuth. Use some gcc based c compiler instead, like codeblocks, or even the legacy devcpp.

Libraries and headers for OpenGL is included by default in all modern (younger than 14 years) c compiler.

check these tutorials:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

if you dont want native winapi (and i suggest to forget win32 at all) i suggest to use glut for windowing/keyboard/mouse input.

-You will find at nehe a lot of examples how to handle opengl.
-You can find a lot opensource examples for loading models.
-You need nothing more, than your creativity. Start with easy games like snake, tetris.
i use vc++ 6 and i want to keep using it for learnning and for building my comercial project with opengl.
i want to start programing for windows xp and maybe also windows 7
VC6 is very old, and technically isn't even valid C++! The newer versions of VC (which are valid C++) can be downloaded for free from Microsoft's website.

i will be stoned for this, but dont use visualc. Its a huge unusable mamuth. Use some gcc based c compiler instead, like codeblocks, or even the legacy devcpp.
If you know you'll be stoned for giving out bad advice, why are you giving out bad advice? The old devcpp comes with an outdated version of GCC that's just as bad as VC6.
CodeBlocks is ok, but VC is not a "huge unusable mammoth" -- it's the industry standard IDE for C++.

Eh? MSVC may be big, but it is also hands-down the best development toolset you can get, either for $$$ or to download an Express version at no charge. And get this - it's not the best because of any conspiracy theories that the makers may or may not have been involved in; it's the best because it's just flat-out better than anything else. You quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about, sorry.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

one thing to keep in mind though when working with VC,
if you want to keep your project crossplatform check wether the source compiles with GCC because i found that VC sometimes accepts things GCC doesnt
------------------------------
Join the revolution and get a free donut!
VC++ is the only choice.
There use to be Borland which got renamed to Inprise but they seemed to have disappeared (no one talks about them). http://www.borland.com

All the rest : Eclipse, Develop Builder, Devcpp, codeblocks, gcc, are amateurish.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

i will be stoned for this, but dont use visualc. Its a huge unusable mamuth.

Countless people use Visual Studio quite successfully, so clearly it's not unusable ;)

one thing to keep in mind though when working with VC,
if you want to keep your project crossplatform check wether the source compiles with GCC because i found that VC sometimes accepts things GCC doesnt

Indeed - even with extensions off there's some variation in what the two compilers will and will not compile, so when targeting both compilers, it's advisable to regularly compile using both.
Have to say that I code mainly Java but I think C++ programmers are missing so much out what IDEs can do. VS is a very poor IDE in my opinion Netbeans and also Eclipse are so much better(even for C++). Everybody who thinks Intelli Sens is a good auto complition didn't use any other^^
<br />VC++ is the only choice.<br />There use to be Borland which got renamed to Inprise but they seemed to have disappeared (no one talks about them). <a href='http://www.borland.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.borland.com</a><br /><br />All the rest : Eclipse, Develop Builder, Devcpp, codeblocks, gcc, are amateurish.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I don't agree, I've been using kdevelop for years, and so far I think it is the best IDE (I use VC as well). To add, Qt creator is also a great IDE, it has I think the best user interface ever. I don't think Eclipse is amateurish, because when it comes to Android development it is simply the best choice (even Google advises the usage of it).
There are many great IDEs, and it is only up to you which will you find the best. So my advice is to try out every one of them, and decide which was the best and stick to it. Don't give it up at the first try, because for example to use kdevelop I had to learn how to write cmake makefiles, which isn't the easiest thing, but I did manage.
All I'll say is that a lot of people mustn't be using their debuggers much...

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement