drawing Shadows with the DepthStencilState. Need just a bit of help. [XNA 4.0]

Started by
10 comments, last by ayrton2388 12 years, 10 months ago
I`m trying to render shadows using the stencilBuffer. And... doesn`t seem to work. Have a look at my code.

public void DrawShadow(Model model, Matrix world)
{

device.Clear(ClearOptions.Stencil, Color.Black, 0, 0);

dsstate.StencilEnable = true;
dsstate.DepthBufferEnable = true;
dsstate.ReferenceStencil = 0;
dsstate.StencilFunction = CompareFunction.Equal;
dsstate.StencilPass = StencilOperation.Increment;

foreach (ModelMesh mesh in model.Meshes) {
foreach (Effect effect in mesh.Effects)
{
effect.CurrentTechnique = effect.Techniques["Shadow"];
effect.Parameters["World"].SetValue(world*shadow);
effect.Parameters["AlphaTestDirection"].SetValue(-1f);
effect.Parameters["View"].SetValue(FreeCamera.ActiveCamera.View);
effect.Parameters["Projection"].SetValue(FreeCamera.ActiveCamera.Projection);
}
mesh.Draw();
}

dsstate.StencilEnable = false;

}

[/quote]

http://imageshack.us...07/shadowa.jpg/

A few more questions. How can i render the shadow of the leafs that i rendered using a 2 pass approach? I mean, using the correct alpha values.
And is this method efficient for rendering the shadows? I mean, i`ll set the DepthStencilState only once per draw, not for every model, of course, but the DrawShadow() code above was just for testing 1-2 objects.
Advertisement
there is shadow on the screenshot

there is shadow on the screenshot

Yes, actually... there are more than 1 shadows. And that`s the problem. Zoom in the picture.
Every poly, i think, has a shadow. And they are overlapping. I want just 1 shadow, having the contour/shape of the tree.
I am unable to see the problem. please point it.
http://www.iimmgg.co...7d6e791518fac40

See the 1st half of the picture? there`s only 1 shape, 1 silhouette, 1 contour.
On the second one, there are many. And they are overlapping. You can easily see that.

The 1st half is actually just like the 2nd, except i use 1 for alpha, not 0.3 or whatever. The 2nd has many semi-transparent parts, one over the other. Thing is , i want just 1 shadow, like in the 1st part, that i can make semi-transparent.
i see it now. you may need shaders to manage this. i dont know if there is any fixed function tricks to resolve it.

On the second one, there are many. And they are overlapping. You can easily see that.

The 1st half is actually just like the 2nd, except i use 1 for alpha, not 0.3 or whatever. The 2nd has many semi-transparent parts, one over the other. Thing is , i want just 1 shadow, like in the 1st part, that i can make semi-transparent.

I'm just a noob, but can't you just make it like the first one, render it to a texture for example, and then apply that texture with alpha on the ground?
I think the idea would be to make it completely black, and then put alpha on the final result.

[quote name='andreilng' timestamp='1306200407' post='4814837']

I'm just a noob, but can't you just make it like the first one, render it to a texture for example, and then apply that texture with alpha on the ground?
I think the idea would be to make it completely black, and then put alpha on the final result.
[/quote]

That`s what is was trying, except not rendering to a texture, but using the stencil. My pixel shader for the shadow simply returns black.
btw did you enabled zbuffer write for the shadows?
yes...

dsstate.DepthBufferWriteEnable = true;
right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement