Creating a game in Microsoft Excel

Started by
7 comments, last by freeworld 12 years, 11 months ago
[font="Tahoma"]Hello there. You see, I've got a technology project due tomorrow and the task is to create a game.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]From the three software I've researched on (Scratch/Game Maker/MS Excel), I guess MS Excel suits me the most. I've been planning to create an adventure game or some sort of that. [/font]

[font="Tahoma"]The big question is how do I make an object move according to the keypads? Like the yellow thing in PacMan.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]I'd like the reply to be ASAP since I've only got less than 24 hours to do this. Thank you. [/font]

Advertisement
It's a general consensus around here not to help people with homework.

If you're not knowledgeable enough with the program, then make a simple game like tic tac toe, or a number guessing game. And next time don't wait till last minute to do your work.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

It's a general consensus around here not to help people with homework.

If I knew I'd help, there is a fine line between DOING someones homework and HELPING someone do their homework. The smart ones always cheat ;)
Well then sorry about that. I didn't mean for you to DO my homework. I just wanted to know if there are macros required or etc.

if time is suin such a short supply, why not use GameMaker ?
you dont hae to hunt areound on how to use a keyboard, they created on for as with most stuff.
you create an event then you drag in a keyboard block or what ever its called

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Just to add an idea to your microsoft excel game...
About... 13... years ago, I made (unfinished) monopoly in excel. It was all going well until apparently I used too much memory on something, and then I had to stop.
I didn't know any programming back then or anything... but I wanted to program some game and all I could make was something like that with VB macros.
You would click the dice, it displayed a random number, and then the guy would move. I was making stuff with money when the memory error happened and I couldn't continue.
I'd vote against using Excel, its a spreadsheet application with script/macro support not a game engine.

The games that have been made using Excel were not made because it was easy, they were made because it was possible(Its quite difficult to make games using Excel)).
Taking existing technology/software and pushing it to do things it was never intended for is fun but if your school project is to create a game in less than 24 hours you really should use something like Game Maker, Flash, or similar.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thank you for the advice. I might use Scratch then. :)

Well then sorry about that. I didn't mean for you to DO my homework. I just wanted to know if there are macros required or etc.

Your post just shouts, I never paid attention in class an now I have an assignment do, let's go get some one to hold my hand instead of trying to do it myself.

I highly doubt, a class would give you an assignment without first telling you how you can go about accomplishing the task. If you know nothing about using those programs for programming, then don't use them, use what you do know how to use. What has your class taught you to use?
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement