What type of game should i make?

Started by
10 comments, last by darkwolfy85 12 years, 10 months ago
i wanted to start creating a game but i dont know what one to make, either a rpg or a army fps please give me some info in which one you think is better to make in terms of popularity like what one will people like to play more, note: whichever one i make WILL be online so please give me you thoughts about which one is better so make notenote: i want it to have to storyline too or you can suggest thing to me.

many thanks -josh

Advertisement

i wanted to start creating a game but i dont know what one to make, either a rpg or a army fps please give me some info in which one you think is better to make in terms of popularity like what one will people like to play more, note: whichever one i make WILL be online so please give me you thoughts about which one is better so make notenote: i want it to have to storyline too or you can suggest thing to me.

many thanks -josh

what about something like Mass Effect, it has the elements of both (well enough to get me really interested in it, and im more of a FPS and RTS gamer)
combine the both into one.
maybe add that to your poll

---edit---
what about makeing it kinda like ME with the decisions, IE make some decisions affect you, but that leads to more complecation, and it would be fun to have CO-OP so you can enjoy it with friends

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

I think you should make a game about mini-polls. It shouldn't be a massively multiplayer game, because big poll results might occur. The game should illustrate how effective mini-poll results are. Use genuine (scientifically-conducted) poll results, then compare them to mini-poll results garnered in-game.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I prefer RPG's due to the larger field of customization that is possible
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1528722869#11

Also read the next reply to understand the core concept behind this.

You can integrate this technique into the story telling and allow the players input to change the outcome of the story.

Characters are key to a good story.

Fps might be more popular, especially with challenging gameplay, and good story/artistic rewards at the end of each level.
Translation: do I copy COD or do I copy WoW? Try coming up with something new and different, army shooters have been done to death...
You really shouldn't worry about what other people want to play unless you are making a big budget titles (in which case there are better ways to get your market research than a forum poll anyway).

As an indie you're far better off making a game that you want to play, avoid competing directly with the big AAA titles (Making yet another army FPS is a really bad idea since you'll effectivly be competing against Call of Duty, Battlefield, and similar series, even if you make a great game you will have a hard time getting noticed by the masses.

Make something fun and unusual (It doesn't have to be unique, there are plenty of genres that have a niche following (Turn based strategy, point and click adventures, simulations, arcade shooters, platformers, and many other genres are pretty much being ignored by the big studios so pretty much any reasonably good title will get noticed by the fans of those genres)

The same can't be said about mainstream titles, there are tons of great , big budget AAA titles that hardly sold at all simply because they were released at the same time as a bigger budget or more anticipated competitor.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
If your going for the Indie approach make it simple and fun as well as unique. The Xbox 360's market place is flooded with simple games. An rpg is nice but make something you truly enjoy and others will enjoy as well.
I would like playing a RPG wich is played from first person... :P

o3o

I would like playing a RPG wich is played from first person... :P

There's several out there. They're usually called action RPGs.

To OP: I voted Army FPS because technically it's easier. Your character interactions are simpler and you don't need to measure as many character variables which can increase complexity significantly. The work going into the world and environment will be there regardless of the type of game you make.
Always strive to be better than yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement