Sign in to follow this  
turlisk

picking the right coding language

turlisk    103
Hey there,

Not sure where to post so for beginners sounded like a great place, moderators please move this if a better location exists.

moving onwards, I have a game idea, a concept currently and I have some of the aspects worked out but not everything is set for my game. I'm a student level coder know console c++ (looking to get into openGL and windows gui programming shortly as well as network programming) i also know most aspects of c# using XNA framework and various web languages (web languages are no help for this really).

I'm looking to pick a language to code in for my game and then from there program on the game and start laying the foundation of the game.

My major requirements are as follows:

Being able to connect to a server and obtain data for multiplayer online capabilities.
Have a loader that will be able to download updates to the game before launching the game play.

Does the XNA framework support these thoughts/requirements or would i want to look into a different language to obtain those two aspects for my game?

as always thanks for the advice and help.

freeworld    341
Your requirements aren't really language dependent. All of which can easily be done in C/C++ or C#. There's quite a bit about C# that makes it an easier language, compared to C/C++, so if you're already familiar with it I'd suggest you keep learning C#. If you so desire in the future, moving onto C/C++ will be a piece of cake.

[quote]
Being able to connect to a server and obtain data for multiplayer online capabilities.
Have a loader that will be able to download updates to the game before launching the game play.
[/quote]

Once again this isn't really language related. You'll use libraries to accomplish this, though you could do it your self. But why take months to reinvent the wheel when a third party library can get you up and running in just a week.

jbadams    25675
Given you're already comfortable with C#/XNA I would recommend sticking with those -- they are perfectly capable of meeting both of your requirements, and you should be able to get things working notably faster than you would using C++, particularly given your relative lack of experience.

As freeworld says though, just about any language you might be likely to think of using would be capable of carrying out your listed requirements.