Anyone know of any Keylogger for mac thats free?

Started by
13 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 12 years, 10 months ago
I'm looking for a free keylogger for mac, any advice? I found a opensouce logKext but its no longer maintained, so i'm hesitant to install it.
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Advertisement
Whats this for?

I would expect you'll get some eyebrows raised because of the obvious privacy issues.

Its for my computer, which I am an admin for. Its for personal use, nothing illegal. Also I will make user aware that the computer is being monitored if needed to. It serves as a protection in case my computer gets stolen as well ( able to remote it and retrive necessary information ).
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

Also I will make user aware that the computer is being monitored if needed to.

So it's not for personal use?

It serves as a protection in case my computer gets stolen as well

How exactly is it going to protect your computer if it is stolen? You probably won't ever see the thing again.

( able to remote it and retrive necessary information ).

To remote it? What in the world are you trying to say? Do you mean the keylogger will allow remote access? How do you envision a keylogger allowing remote access to a computer? And by necessary information, you mean steal other people information?

P.S. It's "have access"
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

Its for my computer, which I am an admin for. Its for personal use, nothing illegal.

There are next to no legitimate uses for keyloggers.

Also I will make user aware that the computer is being monitored if needed to. It serves as a protection in case my computer gets stolen as well ( able to remote it and retrive necessary information ).
[/quote]

This is a horrible idea. What's to prevent someone else from remoting into your machine? A simple password? What's to prevent someone from uninstalling your logger or simply pulling out your drive?

If someone gains physical access to a machine, the game is over. You have lost.
Okay, first of all I do not know why I got negative reps on my post. There is no reason to assume. Second, since it is my computer, technically I have the authority to monitor any access to my computer.

Most people that go about stealing computers, redistribute them to buyers willing to purchase stolen goods, who probably does not have much idea about computers, given that high probability, I would be able to gather information via remoting to my computer and possibly obtain location information and such.

The reason why no one would remote in my machine is because I have nothing valuable. No one cares about me or my files on this machine.

Again, the negative reps wasn't really needed. I assume that you guys think I would be using this steal private information, which is a legible assumption, but I assure you its not for that purpose. If it were, I would be more discrete about it( probably write my own hidden process....) . But whatever. Thanks for the concern anyways.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

Most people that go about stealing computers, redistribute them to buyers willing to purchase stolen goods, who probably does not have much idea about computers, given that high probability, I would be able to gather information via remoting to my computer and possibly obtain location information and such.

Anyone looking to resell stolen goods will hopefully not be quite so stupid as to leave incriminating evidence like... all your files and login credentials on the machine.

The reason why no one would remote in my machine is because I have nothing valuable. No one cares about me or my files on this machine.
[/quote]

Any machine with a network connection is valuable as a warez host, dos client, or simply someplace to create plausible deny-ability for other hacking attempts.

Again, the negative reps wasn't really needed. I assume that you guys think I would be using this steal private information, which is a legible assumption, but I assure you its not for that purpose. If it were, I would be more discrete about it( probably write my own hidden process....) . But whatever. Thanks for the concern anyways.
[/quote]

You're the one not saying what you're going to use it for. If you want to keep people off your machine, there's far better ways of doing it. And if you don't trust the people that do have legitimate access, then perhaps you should re-think that whole legitimate access bit.
>>Anyone looking to resell stolen goods will hopefully not be quite so stupid as to leave incriminating evidence like... all your files and login credentials on the machine.

The stealer might not leave any evidence since it might be with them for a short period of time, but the buyer most likely will.

>>Any machine with a network connection is valuable as a warez host, dos client, or simply someplace to create plausible deny-ability for other hacking attempts.
seriously, the odds are slim to none.

>>You're the one not saying what you're going to use it for. If you want to keep people off your machine, there's far better ways of doing it. And if you don't trust the people that do have legitimate access, then perhaps you should re-think that whole legitimate access bit.

Man didn't know I was gonna get hammered for posting such a thing. Next time I'll know better. I'll do my own research then.

regards, D.Chhetri
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
I don't think a keylogger is what you're looking for -- all it does is log key-strokes.

You're probably looking for something like this: http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

And yes, this type of monitoring software is common and legitimate, so don't down-rate the guy just because he used the K word.

I don't think a keylogger is what you're looking for -- all it does is log key-strokes.

You're probably looking for something like this: http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

And yes, this type of monitoring software is common and legitimate, so don't down-rate the guy just because he used the K word.

Thanks for the tip. Its no worries about the reputation points, I'm not in high school anymore so it doesn't matter to me.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement