Suggestions needed for RPG making

Started by
1 comment, last by rays 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi all

i am trying to make a 2D sidescroller fantasy RPG. so far i have done the basic framework for the game.
i am looking forward to make the gameplay more challenging and interesting by adding puzzel structures
and making AI more challenging.
can anyone suggest me any tutorials or demo projects like that, where i can improve myself and bring the changes to my game.

i am using c++ and directx9 sdk for this project. i am looking for related suggestions.

by
rays
Advertisement

Hi all

i am trying to make a 2D sidescroller fantasy RPG. so far i have done the basic framework for the game.
i am looking forward to make the gameplay more challenging and interesting by adding puzzel structures
and making AI more challenging.
can anyone suggest me any tutorials or demo projects like that, where i can improve myself and bring the changes to my game.

i am using c++ and directx9 sdk for this project. i am looking for related suggestions.

by
rays

Hello Rays,

You need to provide us with some additional information before we can help you fully. Do you currently have levels represented as external files, do you have a level editor, do you use any form of scripting? We really have no idea from your post at what stage your "basic framework" is at. It could mean anything really...

I would suggest that you make sure at this point you are using a data driven design... If you have the graphics code working, now is a good time to start refactoring your code base.. you should be loading your levels/quests using external files and you can write quests using a scripting language such as Lua.

For AI I have no clue how your currently doing your AI, but you have a number of options. If you are currently using a path based AI then you can expand your AI by adding A* pathfinding... or you can do A* pathfinding and steering behaviors. A* pathfinding generates the way points and then the steering behaviors help you navigate to the way points. Other then navigation AI is usually done through state machines (which is really just an abstract concept)..

Hello Rays,

You need to provide us with some additional information before we can help you fully. Do you currently have levels represented as external files, do you have a level editor, do you use any form of scripting? We really have no idea from your post at what stage your "basic framework" is at. It could mean anything really...

I would suggest that you make sure at this point you are using a data driven design... If you have the graphics code working, now is a good time to start refactoring your code base.. you should be loading your levels/quests using external files and you can write quests using a scripting language such as Lua.

For AI I have no clue how your currently doing your AI, but you have a number of options. If you are currently using a path based AI then you can expand your AI by adding A* pathfinding... or you can do A* pathfinding and steering behaviors. A* pathfinding generates the way points and then the steering behaviors help you navigate to the way points. Other then navigation AI is usually done through state machines (which is really just an abstract concept)..

sorry for the unfinished description of my game. currently the levels are represented as external files in my game.i am not using any level editor for this game.
As per scripting, i am doing it all in c++ only.

my framework contains class representation of player,AI,levels and user interface. i am loading all these ti my main() through files and my graphic code has no problem so far.
as per scripting i just want to stick with c++ currently.

i didn't understand data driven design.

For A.I, thx for your suggestions. i will work that way.

all i am looking for now is more puzzle tutorials in c++ for fantasy RPG to make my game play more interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement