Sign in to follow this  
thedodgeruk

game engine architecture

im doing my 3rd year games project , and i have a game engine which i wrote from scratch . it works well and does what i need it to do , but i have cheated in a few places and i want to clean it up

the architecture is 90% there but not 100% and i want to improve it .
is there any resources in which i can look at to help me clean up my code,
what im after really is a good basic UML diagram to see how all the componants of the engine connect to each other?

Every engine is different and divides its components in a different way, it'd be pretty impossible to give you a UML diagram which could be applied to your engine
The most basic architecture optimizations you could do would be refactoring your code where needed/possible and doing intensive profiling to work out engine's bottlenecks
After that you could go through some of your older and/or hacky implementations to see if you can find better and cleaner solutions for the problems they're dealing with

To keep a clean architecture in my engine I adhere partially to the extreme programming concept, also whenever hacks or shortcuts are used in my code to get certain functionality up and running the code gets marked and a top-priority issue is added to my issue tracker so I can resolve it as soon as possible, this results in a very clean and stable architecture

My game engine is structured like this: [url="http://www.marek-knows.com/files/3D_OpenGL_Game_Engine_flowcharts.pdf"]http://www.marek-knows.com/files/3D_OpenGL_Game_Engine_flowcharts.pdf[/url]