Upgrading Midi Sounds

Started by
3 comments, last by nsmadsen 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I was wondering if its possible to upgrade the sound quality of your computers MIDI, and if so how can I do it? buying new hardware? downloading new software? and which would you recommend for the best quality midi possible?
Advertisement
Iif you got a sound card with driver support for sound fonts (sound blaster live 5.1 supports it), you can get a tons of free sound fonts on the internet and you can use your sound card with them. Or you can get a pentium1 and buy an old isa sound card with good midi synth.

Hello I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I was wondering if its possible to upgrade the sound quality of your computers MIDI, and if so how can I do it? buying new hardware? downloading new software? and which would you recommend for the best quality midi possible?

Just to be clear - what exactly are your goals? Are you wanting to compose music using MIDI? Or are you playing old school games that use MIDI for music playback?

If you're wanting to compose using MIDI then I'd suggest you look into virtual instruments (VST or AU). There are free and retail virtual instruments and some of them sound VERY realistic. If you're only looking to play old school games, then Geri's comments work well.

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

[quote name='The_Neverending_Loop' timestamp='1306336909' post='4815624']

Just to be clear - what exactly are your goals? Are you wanting to compose music using MIDI? Or are you playing old school games that use MIDI for music playback?

If you're wanting to compose using MIDI then I'd suggest you look into virtual instruments (VST or AU). There are free and retail virtual instruments and some of them sound VERY realistic. If you're only looking to play old school games, then Geri's comments work well.

Thanks,

Nate
[/quote]

Definetly compose, its an app I've been working on (series of) that deal with music, the more "realistic" the midi sounds the more effective the app will be, so I just wanted to know how I can upgrade my midi quality. Iama try reading up more on these virtual instruments.

[Edit] Can the virtual instruments still be triggered by midi? as in will I be able to load these virtual instruments into my sound back and then trigger them on the sequencer/synthesizer that my applets load up?

Definetly compose, its an app I've been working on (series of) that deal with music, the more "realistic" the midi sounds the more effective the app will be, so I just wanted to know how I can upgrade my midi quality. Iama try reading up more on these virtual instruments.

[Edit] Can the virtual instruments still be triggered by midi? as in will I be able to load these virtual instruments into my sound back and then trigger them on the sequencer/synthesizer that my applets load up?

Well if you're creating an app then you could use samples and create an audio system that references the MIDI input and uses the samples to create playback. This can be tricky but many systems (most notably the Nintendo DS) already use this type of musical playback method.

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement