Sign in to follow this  
badumtishgame

First video of my "drumless drumming" rhythm game

I'm working on a drumming game in my spare time. Some of the things that set it apart are the novel interface, the what-you-play-is-what-you-hear feel, and the fact that notes are displayed in actual music notation - this makes it much easier to see where the beats lie.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQA8GZZl1UQ"]Youtube link[/url]

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Richard

That looks very cool! How were you playing the kick drum? I saw the dots that were much lower in the 3d view but I didn't see anything like the reflector balls on your feet. Of course the views that showed your feet were not that close up so I may have just not been able to see them.

I didn't think it had anything to do with Kinect since Kinect gets its 3d information without extra peripherals like the reflector balls. But I would definitely prefer to hear the definitive answer from the developer on that.

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1306350754' post='4815720']
did you use the Kinect for that ?
[/quote]

This couldn't be done with Kinect, not to this degree of fidelity anyway. Its update rate is too slow. It is tracking the sticks using cameras however.

[quote name='j-locke' timestamp='1306352151' post='4815737']
That looks very cool! How were you playing the kick drum? I saw the dots that were much lower in the 3d view but I didn't see anything like the reflector balls on your feet. Of course the views that showed your feet were not that close up so I may have just not been able to see them.
[/quote]

In this video the feet (the kick drum and hihat pedal) are set to be played automatically during the songs only - so you will notice that there is no kick drum during the solo drumming segments. It is trivial to track the feet in an identical way to the sticks but unfortunately I got lazy and didn't set it up for this video.

Richard

Sign in to follow this