My first Project attempt (C++ Need Help)

Started by
22 comments, last by xaviarrob 12 years, 10 months ago
So hi!

I'm new to the foum (registering anyway) and I need some help. I know this doesn't pertain strait to game programming but it is a programming problem.

I'm creating a calculator that calculates how much it costs when districts or schools increase their levies.
The problem is indicated where nPriceReduction starts.

//The purpose of this program is to show my community (and any if that) how inexpensive levy increases are.
//This will eventually become a windowed program.
#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>

using namespace std;

int main(){
cout << "Please enter your house's market value" << endl;
int nY; // Market value of house
cin >> nY;
cout << "Please enter the number of mills" << endl;// For those unfamiler with mills, 1 mill = 1% increase.
int nZ;
cin >> nZ;
int nNumberOfMills = nZ;
int nTaxPercent = .35;
float nX = nY * nTaxPercent;//Takes the market value of house and multiplies it by the percent of the house you pay taxes on.
float nMill = .001;// 1% = 1 mill
float nMillCalc = nZ * nMill;//Multiplies the value of a mill by how many there are.
cout << "Are you getting a goverment price reduction?(true/false)" << endl;
//Having trouble with this section, I essentially want the user to type yes/no and for it to do the correct if statement apropriatly.
//When I execute this it always assumes the answer is false.
bool nPriceReduction;
cin >> nPriceReduction;
if (bool nPriceReduction = true){
cout << "Your proporty taxes cost for " << nZ << " mill(s) is {:content:}quot; << nMillCalc * nX * .875 << " per year or {:content:}quot; << ((nMillCalc * nX * .875) / 12) << " per month " << endl;

}else if (char nPriceReduction = false){
cout << "Your proporty taxes cost for " << nZ << " mill(s) is {:content:}quot; << nMillCalc * nX << " per year or {:content:}quot; << ((nMillCalc * nX) / 12) << " per month " << endl;}
getch();
return 0;
}
Advertisement
why not

int d = 0;
cin >> d;
if(d == 1)
nPriceReduction = true;
else
nPriceReduction = false;

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

I would like the user to be able to enter the word yes so they don't get confused with it, on a side note if anyone could point me towords making this in a window with GUI that would be great.
what about (have not tested this so there could be errors)

cout << "Are you getting a goverment price reduction?(Yes / No)";
string d;
cin >> d;
if(d == 'string("yes")')
nPriceReduction = true;
else
nPriceReduction = false;

or more simply

cout << "Are you getting a goverment price reduction?(Y / N)";
char d = 'n';
cin >> d;
if(d == 'y')
nPriceReduction = true;
else
nPriceReduction = false;

that better ?

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

but you should convert the persone input to Upper or Lower Case. (it avoids Case issues)

bool nPriceReduction;
cin >> nPriceReduction;
cout << "Your proporty taxes cost for " << nZ << " mill(s) is {:content:}quot; << nMillCalc * nX * .875 << " per year or {:content:}quot; << ((nMillCalc * nX * .875) / 12) << " per month " << endl;

}

Perhaps what you meant was this?

bool nPriceReduction;
cin >> nPriceReduction;
if (nPriceReduction){
// ...
}

What you have declares a temporary variable and assigns it the value true, all inside the expression of your if-statement.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

what about (have not tested this so there could be errors)

cout << "Are you getting a goverment price reduction?(Yes / No)";
string d;
cin >> d;
if(d == 'string("yes")')
nPriceReduction = true;
else
nPriceReduction = false;

or more simply

cout << "Are you getting a goverment price reduction?(Y / N)";
char d = 'n';
cin >> d;
if(d == 'y')
nPriceReduction = true;
else
nPriceReduction = false;

that better ?

When compiling this since there is nothing terminating that else everything beyond the tags evaluates to 0.

[quote name='xaviarrob' timestamp='1306351294' post='4815727']

bool nPriceReduction;
cin >> nPriceReduction;

}

Perhaps what you meant was this?

bool nPriceReduction;
cin >> nPriceReduction;
if (nPriceReduction){
// ...
}

What you have declares a temporary variable and assigns it the value true, all inside the expression of your if-statement.

[/quote]
I dont quite understand what you mean here
if (bool nPriceReduction = true)

1) You do not need to specify the data type in an if statement; nPriceReduction is already a bool data type.
2) Since nPriceReduction is already a bool data type you can simply say "if (nPriceReduction) {}"
3) Always use the "equal to" (==) when doing a comparing value(s) and not the assignment operator (=)

For instance:
if (nPriceReduction = true) will always assign true to nPriceReduction and will always evaluate as true
if (nPriceReduction == true) will always compare nPriceReduction to see if it is true or false (== is equal to; != is not equal to)

That is what the other members were talking about.

if (bool nPriceReduction = true)

1) You do not need to specify the data type in an if statement; nPriceReduction is already a bool data type.
2) Since nPriceReduction is already a bool data type you can simply say "if (nPriceReduction) {}"
3) Always use the "equal to" (==) when doing a comparing value(s) and not the assignment operator (=)

For instance:
if (nPriceReduction = true) will always assign true to nPriceReduction and will always evaluate as true
if (nPriceReduction == true) will always compare nPriceReduction to see if it is true or false (== is equal to; != is not equal to)

That is what the other members were talking about.

Thanks a bunch this is exactly the answer I wanted. If anyone could point me in the direction of translating all of this out of console and into a window I would much appriciate it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement