Sign in to follow this  
Geometrian

Testing NVIDIA SDK Samples on Non-Dev. Machines

Geometrian    1810
[font="Arial"]Hi,[/font]
[font="Arial"]
[/font]
[font="Arial"]I'm trying to get NVIDIA SDK samples to run on another machine (not used for development). Ideally, a minimum of software should be installed on this new machine. Although it would be nice to get all samples working, at the moment, I really only care about the 3D vision sample.[/font]
[font="Arial"]
[/font]
[font="Arial"]Simply downloading the sample and running causes a .dll missing error (missing [size=2]d3dx9_43.dll). I took the contents of the developer runtime in the DirectX SDK and added them to the directory, but now the sample opens with a black screen and then promptly closes. Running the sample from the command line produces no errors.[/size][/font]
[size=2][font="Arial"]
[/font][/size]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]At present, I am downloading the DirectX SDK to install on the machine. Will this fix it (and/or are there simpler solutions)? I don't need to compile any code on the machine--just run it.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]
[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"]The computer is a Dell XPS L702X with 3D capability.[/size][/font]
[size=2][font="Arial"]
[/font][/size]
[size=2][font="Arial"]Thanks,[/font][/size]
[size=2][font="Arial"]-G[/font][/size]

mhagain    13430
First step is always update your DirectX. The D3DX DLL problem is from a newer version of D3D9 than that installed on your machine (and no, neither D3D10 nor 11 include this, and it's not on Vista or 7 either), and just tossing in the DLL like you did is never a good idea - there may be other dependencies, such as the shader compiler for example.

Geometrian    1810
[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1306364554' post='4815820']First step is always update your DirectX. The D3DX DLL problem is from a newer version of D3D9 than that installed on your machine (and no, neither D3D10 nor 11 include this, and it's not on Vista or 7 either), and just tossing in the DLL like you did is never a good idea - there may be other dependencies, such as the shader compiler for example.[/quote]Yeah, I figured it wasn't--I wanted a quick fix. Installing the DirectX SDK seems to have fixed all the problems. In the future, I'll update the DirectX instead.
Thanks!