GUI selection in OpenGL, C++

Started by
3 comments, last by RabblePants 12 years, 10 months ago
Currently I am working on a C++ OpenGL traffic simulation, and the main problem GUI. I have created my own classes like table, button, label. The problem is that it is getting very complicated and I am wondering, is it worth using some GUI library or windows GUI?
Advertisement

Currently I am working on a C++ OpenGL traffic simulation, and the main problem GUI. I have created my own classes like table, button, label. The problem is that it is getting very complicated and I am wondering, is it worth using some GUI library or windows GUI?

It's easy to create a smaller viewport than you window and use Windows controls. In .NET it would probably be the best way, but in C++ the Win32/MFC api is rather crappy and you will curse a lot. You can also continue on your path, and create your own GUI, but that's a lot of job. There are libraries you could use, but they are rare. The most common one is probably CEGUI.

By the way, I'm also working for traffic management. Would love to hear more about your project.
If you mean Windows GUI, I would recommend wxWidgets, easy to use and relative lightweight.
If you don't mind very heavyweight, Qt is another choice.

If you mean GUI in OpenGL, maybe look at GLUI? I don't have any experience on it.

Since your UI is complicated, don't do it yourself, choose an appropriate existing library, then spend your time on game logic.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

[quote name='DonceLT' timestamp='1306437993' post='4816144']

It's easy to create a smaller viewport than you window and use Windows controls. In .NET it would probably be the best way, but in C++ the Win32/MFC api is rather crappy and you will curse a lot. You can also continue on your path, and create your own GUI, but that's a lot of job. There are libraries you could use, but they are rare. The most common one is probably CEGUI.

By the way, I'm also working for traffic management. Would love to hear more about your project.
[/quote]

Well, my project is still in development, so there isn't much to tell. I have few videos, but it's quite old, so it's not worth showing. Maybe I'll write about it in the future. What about your project, could you give some info about it? :)
Check out the UI library + Editor I put together - www.otterui.com. It's not quite as involved as CEGUI, but it'll (hopefully) get the job done for you pretty quickly. Also, if you don't want to worry about OpenGL / DirectX / etc rendering, there are sample renderers for you to get you going quickly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement